<?>Why Are There So Much FTP Flavors Out There?</?>

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by redAPPLE, Feb 13, 2008.

1. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

so here is my question. why do we need so much FTP apps? isn't FTP here, the same as FTP there?

i personally use Cyberduck right now.

are some FTP apps that are better? if yes, why are they better? do some FTP apps upload or download files faster?

i'd really like to hear your opinion on this one.

thanks.

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Because people are always trying to improve on the interface, unless it is a terminal app, then it is usually to just integrate with other software or as a class project that became something more.

I use Transit or Captain FTP. The only problem is that they cost money. I really wish that Apple would integrate FTP uploads into Finder.

TEG

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Keep using CyberDuck.

Why are there so many "insert application/game" out there? Some of us do use the command line as well.

4. redAPPLE thread starter macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

i'd like to know, why some ftp apps are free and some are not.

is it really the UI that makes it a very different experience?

5. Makosuke macrumors 603

Some do also add features. Interarchy, for example, in addition to the basic interface, adds some bookmarking features, and a very fast mirroring system. I'm sure it's not unique in this, but that alone is worth the money it costs to me. There's also the afore-mentioned integration with other apps; in the case of Interarchy, being able to live-edit a file in TextWrangler such that on every save changes are uploaded automatically. Again, probably not unique, but very, very handy for me.

Given that I only upgrade my FTP software once every two or three years, and you're looking at maybe $20-30, that's a pretty minimal expense for something I use on a near-daily basis if its interface is something I like and it includes a couple of frills, even if those are only saving me a few minutes a week (so even if it's only an hour every two years cumulatively, it still pays for itself).

Moreover, since an application that does these extras would make my life easier, I'd probably want to donate a bit--say, $20--to the developer to encourage them to keep it up. Or, in this case, I can just pay them.

6. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Cyberduck is nice, but Interarchy (as an example - it's my preferred client) provides extra functionality - if you're a power user, you may appreciate the extra features. If you don't need 'em, save your money - Cyberduck is great for basic FTP.

7. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

It's mostly about preference. I think Transmit is the best FTP program on OS X, but I can see how someone who valued "free" over "interface" would decide to get Cyberduck instead.

Of course, I also think Panic is a great software house in general, so I like paying for Transmit (since it also helps fund other software efforts that others might find useful, like Coda or Unison).

8. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Ditto. That's exactly what I was going to say, both about Transmit and about Panic. Great app and great company.

9. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

Apple has already killed a good Panic application when they did iTunes.

The thing is Apple really likes Panic, they shower them with design awards and hold them up as a blueprint for what a third party Mac software house should look like. They've tried to hire their engineers before as well.

So to put full S/FTP functionality into the Finder would send out the wrong message to third party developers, right at the time Apple is trying to attract more to the platform.

10. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

But it is very inconvienent to have to download a GUI FTP application to do work, when Windows and Linux have it built in.

TEG

11. bmorris macrumors 6502

bmorris

what about transfer rates? which program allows the fastest for larger files?

12. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

I'm fairly certain that unless the app was written very, very badly, the bottleneck will be your internet connection, not the FTP client.