why are there two post counts?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by DoNoHarm, Dec 7, 2009.

1. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

When I try to "search posts by this user" and when I click on my username, I get two different post counts. Why the difference?

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Some sections of the forum don't apply to post-count overall:
    Marketplace
    Community Discussion (including PSRI)
    Wasteland

The search feature searches all of those sections in their results.

3. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I think that my post count is wrong

If you posted to a thread that was moved to the Wasteland or deleted, those posts will be removed from your total. Individual posts deleted by moderators are also excluded from your post count.

Posts made to the Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum, the Console Games forum, the Code Sharing forum, and the Marketplace forum are not counted.

If your post count reaches a total that entitles you to a new forum privilege, such as uploading and avatar or using the Marketplace forum, the new privilege may not take effect immediately. It will work by the following day at the latest. ​

4. DoNoHarm thread starter macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I think its only PRSI posts that don't count, community discussion posts do.

6. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

What happens if you have several posts in a topic, and your post count goes over and you get certain privelages, but then that topic is deleted? Do your privelages get retracted?

7. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

It depends. If (for instance) you are an infrequent poster and just hit 250 posts after 4 years, you'll get access to the marketplace. Then if a thread is removed and you're down to 249 posts you will still have access to the marketplace.

However if it's clear you only posted in the thread to get access to the marketplace, we'll typically remove marketplace privileges also.

Another scenario would be if you posted in a thread heavily that was later moved or deleted such that your post count went below 250 (let's say to 230), you would maintain marketplace privileges but if you posted a thread outside the marketplace that should be in the marketplace, a mod probably would delete the thread instead of moving it since we most likely would not know you had marketplace privileges.

I think privilege escalation can take some time though so if during that window you were brought back down below a given threshold, you most likely would not get the privileges.

Most of these scenarios rarely happen though. The most prevalent is somebody posting solely to get access to a given forum and posts/threads being removed and an admin manually removing those privileges.

8. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

Ah I see. Thanks for the detailed reply.