Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 20, 2015
I just got the new 24" iMac and have plenty of USB-C stuff to plug into it. Everything I see is either some overkill "docking" solution with HDMI and charging passthrough for laptops, and everything else under the sun for $100 or more -- or just provides a few USB-A ports (which I'm trying to move away from).

Anybody find a good solution for this? I'm really just looking for something analogous to the simple USB-A hubs I used to use, but in USB-C form. Is there some technical limitation?

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
I've wondered about this too. Best I can find is that the chips for it simply didn't exist before Thunderbolt 4. So, it'll be a while before these start coming to market.

There's also the power delivery issue. USB C devices can draw way more power than USB A devices. Any single port should be capable of delivering 3A@20V (60W) to comply with minimum cable requirements. I'd also want each port to be capable of delivering 20W concurrently. Which means on a 4 port hub you'd need an 80W power adapter (20W per port or 60W for one port plus a couple low power devices).

Reactions: smirking

Super Spartan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2018
Dubai
I just got the new 24" iMac and have plenty of USB-C stuff to plug into it. Everything I see is either some overkill "docking" solution with HDMI and charging passthrough for laptops, and everything else under the sun for $100 or more -- or just provides a few USB-A ports (which I'm trying to move away from).

Anybody find a good solution for this? I'm really just looking for something analogous to the simple USB-A hubs I used to use, but in USB-C form. Is there some technical limitation?

• Haha
Reactions: smirking

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 20, 2015
Yeah, no. Things like that are everywhere and obviously I'm not having trouble finding them. I'm talking about something like this, but with USB-C ports:

Ugreen-4-ports-USB-Hubs-Main.jpg

I've wondered about this too. Best I can find is that the chips for it simply didn't exist before Thunderbolt 4. So, it'll be a while before these start coming to market.

There's also the power delivery issue. USB C devices can draw way more power than USB A devices. Any single port should be capable of delivering 3A@20V (60W) to comply with minimum cable requirements. I'd also want each port to be capable of delivering 20W concurrently. Which means on a 4 port hub you'd need an 80W power adapter (20W per port or 60W for one port plus a couple low power devices).
Huh. Weird. So even though the user might not need anywhere need that much power to run (say) a portable SSD or something, each port must be able to provide it?

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Yeah, no. Things like that are everywhere and obviously I'm not having trouble finding them. I'm talking about something like this, but with USB-C ports:

View attachment 1812550

Huh. Weird. So even though the user might not need anywhere need that much power to run (say) a portable SSD or something, each port must be able to provide it?
USB-C ports only need to be 15W max. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB

The CalDigit SOHO has a USB-C port that works even if you're not using a separate power supply. Not sure if it's 15W in that case.

There might be some 4 port usb-C hubs:
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...3-or-4-usb-c-ports-also.2253025/post-28861743
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...-additional-usb-c-ports.2279554/post-29490160

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

Can't you just use USB-C to USB-A adapters?
Any problems with that?

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Any problems with that?

They might work but I think they are against the USB-C spec.

View attachment 1812749
Nice, if you don't mind not having 10 Gbps.

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
Nice, if you don't mind not having 10 Gbps.

I think that might be the reason why you don't see many of these (all I could find was the one I linked and some rack-mounted options that are far more expensive but still limited to 5Gbps) - Because it's the same speed as the USB-C to USB-A-type connector adapters that are the 3.1 Gen 1 (max 5 Gbps) standard. So you might as well get one of those and just use USB-C to A adapters.

Last edited:
Reactions: ignatius345

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 20, 2015
Any problems with that?

I know what those are, thank you. They're irritating to use and I'd prefer to just use native USB-C connectors if I can.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 20, 2015

View attachment 1812749
This is what I was thinking of, thanks! Surprisingly expensive. Weird there aren't more options, but I guess it has to do with the port specs.

Reactions: usagora

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
This is what I was thinking of, thanks! Surprisingly expensive. Weird there aren't more options, but I guess it has to do with the port specs.
Did you see this one: https://juicedsystems.com/products/vertexhub-usb-c-hub-data-and-charging-hub-usb-3-1-gen2 in one of the links I posted? It's a bit bulkier and requires external power and is even more expensive but it has some USB-A ports, support 10 Gbps on all ports, and probably? allows more than 7.5W per port.

Reactions: ignatius345

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 20, 2015

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
I'm really just looking for something analogous to the simple USB-A hubs I used to use, but in USB-C form. Is there some technical limitation?
Problem is, for regular up-to 5Gbps USB peripherals, there's no technical advantage to using USB C over USB A beyond (YMMV) a nicer connector - it's just the same USB 3.1 gen 1 standard - and any high-speed peripheral that actually uses 10Gbps and/or USB3.2 channel bonding is probably not something that you want to connect via a hub. Meanwhile, virtually every USB-C peripheral not sold by Apple comes with a USB C-to-A cable or adapter in the box...

Bottom line: if you have lots of vanilla USB devices to connect, USB-C doesn't currently offer you a sensible solution. Unless/until someone comes out with the USB-C equivalent of the $30 8-port USB hub, you're stuck with USB A.

Best I can find is that the chips for it simply didn't exist before Thunderbolt 4. So, it'll be a while before these start coming to market.
That's Thunderbolt 4 (and the Thunderbolt-based part of USB 4) - that protocol didn't support hubs at all until version 4. So, 20/40Gbps speeds with embedded DisplayPort etc. so it is going to come at a premium. There are a couple of these on the market/coming soon (Caldigit and OWC, I think) but they're relatively expensive, are designed as laptop docks (so, massive charging brick) and would be total overkill if you just want to connect a bunch of USB 3.1 devices.

I think you're right about the extra complications of USB-C vs USB-A vis. power supply, USB3.2, various alt modes etc. making a USB-C hub more complex and expensive, even without TB, but I do recall seeing a press release for a proper "non-TB" USB-C hub chipset several years ago - if any devices ever incorporated it, you can count them on the fingers of one hoof.

Looking at what is actually on sale (including the rumoured return of so-called legacy ports to the MacBook Pro), I guess the market has spoken and what the majority of people (who aren't obsessed with how many 6k displays and NVME RAID arrays they can connect to their ultrabook) want is their USB-A/HDMI/DisplayPorts back.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 20, 2015
Problem is, for regular up-to 5Gbps USB peripherals, there's no technical advantage to using USB C over USB A beyond (YMMV) a nicer connector - it's just the same USB 3.1 gen 1 standard - and any high-speed peripheral that actually uses 10Gbps and/or USB3.2 channel bonding is probably not something that you want to connect via a hub. Meanwhile, virtually every USB-C peripheral not sold by Apple comes with a USB C-to-A cable or adapter in the box...

Bottom line: if you have lots of vanilla USB devices to connect, USB-C doesn't currently offer you a sensible solution. Unless/until someone comes out with the USB-C equivalent of the $30 8-port USB hub, you're stuck with USB A.

That's Thunderbolt 4 (and the Thunderbolt-based part of USB 4) - that protocol didn't support hubs at all until version 4. So, 20/40Gbps speeds with embedded DisplayPort etc. so it is going to come at a premium. There are a couple of these on the market/coming soon (Caldigit and OWC, I think) but they're relatively expensive, are designed as laptop docks (so, massive charging brick) and would be total overkill if you just want to connect a bunch of USB 3.1 devices.

I think you're right about the extra complications of USB-C vs USB-A vis. power supply, USB3.2, various alt modes etc. making a USB-C hub more complex and expensive, even without TB, but I do recall seeing a press release for a proper "non-TB" USB-C hub chipset several years ago - if any devices ever incorporated it, you can count them on the fingers of one hoof.

Looking at what is actually on sale (including the rumoured return of so-called legacy ports to the MacBook Pro), I guess the market has spoken and what the majority of people (who aren't obsessed with how many 6k displays and NVME RAID arrays they can connect to their ultrabook) want is their USB-A/HDMI/DisplayPorts back.
Thanks for the clarification.

I have to say, for "one connector that will make everything easy" USB-C really is a massive failure. Years into this supposed unification of ports, it remains full of deeply technical caveats and the end result seems to be either more dongles or expensive docking stations. I guess, with the exact right combination of cables and devices, we get speed improvements -- but it seems to come with a lot of complications and expense. I'm working with a desktop in this situation (which makes it all easier), but it's no wonder people out there continue to want computers with the ubiquitous USB-A port.

Reactions: Moonjumper

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
The problem with using a small hub such as the one in reply 11 above is that it relies upon "bus power" to run.

But if you have too many OTHER devices plugged into it that ALSO require bus power, you may start drawing too much power from the single port to which the hub is connected.

A hub like this needs its own power supply (with a power supply block that plugs into a wall outlet). Then it can handle multiple drives that require power, without overloading the Mac's USB port.

The juicedsystems hub linked to in #14 above looks like it might be what the OP needs. Of course, it costs a little more.

The OP commented:
"I have to say, for "one connector that will make everything easy" USB-C really is a massive failure. Years into this supposed unification of ports, it remains full of deeply technical caveats and the end result seems to be either more dongles or expensive docking stations."

Yes, and folks are finally coming around to recognizing this.
Remember, back in 2016, the exhortations in this forum to wit:
"USBa is dead...!"
Well, it ain't.
It's still around just like it always was.
And USBc was no panacea. In fact, it remains downright confusing...

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Problem is, for regular up-to 5Gbps USB peripherals, there's no technical advantage to using USB C over USB A beyond (YMMV) a nicer connector - it's just the same USB 3.1 gen 1 standard - and any high-speed peripheral that actually uses 10Gbps and/or USB3.2 channel bonding is probably not something that you want to connect via a hub.
USB A can do 10 Gbps just fine. Channel bonding is not a thing for USB 3.1. Maybe you are thinking about USB 3.2 gen 1x2 or gen 2x2 which no Mac uses. In the case of a Mac and most PCs, USB 3.2 gen 1 or gen 2 is just gen 1x1 and 2x1 which are exactly the same as USB 3.1 (in the case of gen 1 and 2) or USB 3.0 (in the case of gen 1).

A USB 3.x hub is a perfectly reasonable way to connect multiple devices - each device can use the full bandwidth when the other devices are idle - and you can read from once device and write to another at full bandwidth since there's separate lines for transmit and receive (an improvement over USB 2.0).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.