Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jhood077

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2007
i want to know why we all are mac heads no matter what they make we all love it, well i do.

wizzerandchips

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2006
stylish, easy to use, and your right we do buy everything they bring out ,and some of us never looking at the competition, Is there any ?:D

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
Well it's because I want to use something that's reliable, easy to use, good for Graphic Design, and has a great UI. The Macs also look great too, which is a plus.

Aniej

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2006
love the comprehensive unified set of features that exist in each application, love the looks, the OS is killer, progressive and innovative management.

Spoony Bard

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2007
One word: aesthetics.

I want the technology I use to look good, and no one does it quite like Apple. Since the latest MBP will be my first foray into the Mac world, we'll see if I also fall in love with the OS and what not.

Jim Campbell

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2006
A World of my Own; UK
i want to know why we all are mac heads no matter what they make we all love it, well i do.

Because the alternative is so counter-intuitive that working with it is like typing with broken fingers: slow and painful. Here's an example from my Windows-based experience just two days ago:

With my boss off work, I've had to bite the bullet and update a spreadsheet that provides data for our Exec Committee. The Excel file produces graphs, which then need to be dropped into Powerpoint.

I haven't done this for a while, and wasted well over an hour trying to get the Excel sheets into Powerpoint - highlight the required cells, copy, paste ... you'd think. But, no. This causes Powerpoint to helpfully try and re-jig the layout of the cells to accommodate its different page size, making the whole thing unreadable. I vaguely remembered that -- when I last did this many months ago -- I had a 'Paste Special' option which enabled me to paste the Excel content in as a bitmap image, which I could then scale in Powerpoint without any problems.

Except that I didn't get a 'Paste Special' option, only 'Paste'.

After 90+ minutes, a lot of swearing, and multiple attempts at this apparently simple procedure, the solution became clear only by accident.

You actually do need to highlight-copy-paste, but you don't get a 'Paste Special' option if you highlight then copy with [CTRL]-C. You also don't get a 'Paste Special' option if you highlight and use the little 'Copy' button on the Excel toolbar.

Oh, no - you only get to 'Paste Special' when you highlight the cells and then right-click in them, selecting 'Copy' from the contextual menu.

Why? In the name of all that's holy: WHY!?! Why offer three different means of performing the same task, but have them behave differently depending on which method you use?

And that, ladies and gentleman, is the Windows experience ... day in and day out, an unending parade of tiny, frustrating, pointless little niggles that each serve to make the working day just that little bit more annoying than it really needs to be.

Cheers

Jim

Schroedinger

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2004
Baltimore, MD
here's my take: It's not the same for everyone, there are several camps.

1. The "It just works camp" - these are people that don't demand a lot from their electronics, but they want it to do it well. In this category are my sisters, who both got mac laptops after they got tired of me fixing their dells. They don't care about file structures or chipsets or Unix, they just want it to work and now that they've had that experience, they have a prejudice toward apple products.

2. The "I've been around the block camp" - People that are in stark contrast to the one above, this group has used windows, os x, and linux. They choose Apple b/c their values align with those of Apple. Those who have different values are right now on their respective windows or linux forums. It's like people that always drive Hondas or BMWs b/c they know what they are getting and they like it and they have experience with Toyotas and Fords and the like.

3. The "I think this makes me hip camp" - Although this probably bothers most of us on these forums, I'm sure there is a significant number of people who have turned into Apple fanboys b/c it buys them cool points. Macbooks and iPods stand out as cool products and if you have one, then you too are "cool." They get a thrill out of telling people their Dells suck. I've got a little cousin who falls in this camp. Two weeks after he got his iMac he was talking down to every PC user he met, but he is 12 so I'll cut him a little slack.

4. The "Been here since the Apple II camp" - People that have been with the company and it's products so long that nothing else matters anymore.

kymac

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2006
portland
because its american nature to place yourself above the rest. and we obsessive over apple because it brings us above everyone else who suffers the pains and struggles of the windows world. because we use apple, we are the best. i mean, why obsess over something thats not amazing? apple pride! haha

Cyberthato

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2006
Spain
Mcintosh CS

the first comp at home was an IBM (text mode 16 color display), my mother hated it and exchanged it for a CS (40 Mb hard drive and 1Mb ram) it was excelent, 256 grayscale display, ans I could open word, excel and whatever the other MS program was AT THE SAME TIME with the help of something-swith. I was a Child but stayed in love with my mac.

Now I'm the happy owner of a MBP, IMAC, iPod and am succesfully turning my gf into the dark side. she no loger hates macs the way she used to, she even has a red nano =)

in short I love it just because I'm a fanboy. And I'm proud of it

Igantius

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2007
As an aid to creativity.

When I was 18, just before I left school, I started writing professionally. For a few months, I worked in one magazine office before starting uni. It blew my mind how just three people with three Macs could produce a national magazine, which was even sold in a few overseas cities – and also just how user-friendly the machines were.

Macs are my weapon of choice for number of reasons. A major one is that certain preferred tools of mine aren’t available on other platforms.

bertpalmer

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2007
I suspect that for most people it's because of Apple's advertising campaign. Also the success of the iPod and to be different and somehow unique because they aren't using Windoze.

cnybud

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2007
Chittenango, NY
For me, I found the system that works without me having to spend too much tie trying to keep it running. I turn it on, it works. I don't have to tun it on update my virus, firewall, adware, blah blah, i just go to work.

Now I could do that with linux as well, but hey OSX is more polished far easier to learn.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
I like the Mac interface because it just lets you get on with things. I regularly have to use Windows and it just seems to be constantly getting in your way, which makes it a hassle to use. The Mac isn't like that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.