Why are we still on vB 3.6.x

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by ct2k7, Jul 25, 2009.

1. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

I see that we are still in the vB 3.6 series, but why, may I ask.

Is it due to plugins and integration?

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

The plugins and hacks that this site run on run well on this version, and why fix what isn't broke?

3. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

idk what id do without forum spy:eek:, so im fine right now. but if forum spy works with a newer version just as well, then id say go ahead and upgrade.

4. ct2k7 thread starter macrumors 603

ct2k7

Updates, new features. That's why people develop different versions of software. That's why iPhone OS 3.0 came out. etc.

Works fine with latest, 3.8 series.

5. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

Upgrade then I Say!!!
    lol
    but srsly, if i were arn or an administrator (hint hint....:p), i would wait to upgrade to 4.0 whenever it comes out and only then once forum spy has updated to work with that, and after maybe a few bug fixes i would upgrade.

6. ct2k7 thread starter macrumors 603

ct2k7

Don't get me started on 4.0... you have to pay to get 4.0, current active license holders get a discount :/

7. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Well, I'm not so sure it works so well, at least for Forum Spy. It's caused what looks like data overruns, where the posts from several weeks ago come up (possibly the source of newbies opening old threads) all the time at my work, and at home, I've had things go totally haywire where I had to restart my computer. I posted about this several days ago on here.

8. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

They could update the software but then you would be without MacRumors for about a day. A site this big can't afford to have downtime that long. They won't just upgrade every time a new version comes out. Plus everything is running fine as it is.

Forum spy is a hack and not native VB so a upgrade won't fix it.

9. MikhailT macrumors 601

It's one of the most popular sites for Mac related news and in my opinion one of the biggest Mac community on the internet. MR's staff just can't afford to take risks and screw thing up. They rather just take it easy and figure out the best way to upgrade without corrupting data or at worst lose data. Also they have to wait and see if the latest release have been throughly tested to be stable. It's like waiting for OS 10.5.7 instead of 10.5.

The question remains then, what are the justifications for upgrading to the new version?

One of the things I really want is reply text box on the bottom of the thread. It is useful on many forums that I visit to. Even real-time reply update would be nice with direct link to the first unread post as well for subscriptions.

It would be interesting to see if VB or other forum software will somehow find a way to release an API for iPhone applications to use the forum directly.

10. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Okay, well then do you think they could do anything with the hack. Other than the issues I had (if they are even related to the MR site, since it could be a Windows issue), I wished they'd add a way to select stuff in the Spy to see and what not to see and ignore (like another MMS thread, which once we see the beginning, we don't want to see any more about it).

11. ct2k7 thread starter macrumors 603

ct2k7

There's something called planned upgrade. The site I worked as a moderator on was much larger than MR, and planned the upgrades in advanced, to minimize downtime. They also, completed a forum upgrade within 30 minutes.

The software will soon become deprecated, both by PHP, and, security. The quick reply box is an internal option which the administrators do not want to be enabled.

Again, plan the upgrades, do a quick test on a dump of the database, and voila, you see what can go wrong!

12. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

The main reason is the downtime.

This site is very much bigger than other forums, so if the servers are down, then everybody will freak out. It'll be down for at least a day if you update every time a new bug fix comes out.

Also, many of the things you guys are used to, they are hacks, and we (As a community) need to make sure that it is compatible with the next version. So that requires testing.

13. ct2k7 thread starter macrumors 603

ct2k7

And again,

planned downtime.

I am not saying to update everytime a new bug patch or maintenance release has occured, but 3.6 is quite old compared to the 3.8 we are now.

I know that the mods installed here, from what I can see are compatible.

From the structure you adopt, the server should never update, nor should we install web server or database server or even PHP updates.

But maybe's there also one thing. There's a reason why there's a forum offline mode available in vBulletin, to inform visitors of the downtime and reason.

In industry, it is best practise to plan and do a test deployment, or simulation prior to actual, to iron out bugs and unexpected problems which result in longer downtime.

14. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

But they've still got to apply it to the live site...

15. ct2k7 thread starter macrumors 603

ct2k7

yes, therefore they are able to do it efficiently.

16. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

This was addressed by everyone (arn, WildCowboy and a mod) who should address it: here.

17. ct2k7 thread starter macrumors 603

ct2k7

thank you,

if there are plans to update to 4.0, then I can tell you for sure that not having upgrading everything to the latest vB instance will provide a disadvantage.

/ct out