Why are you ignoring iCloud?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by drober30, Oct 4, 2011.

1. drober30 macrumors 6502a

I too wished for the iPhone 5, just like the mockup that has been going around but iCloud is going to be amazing!

No other phone manufacture has delivered such a product along with their handset.

I love how MobileMe will sync my contacs and appointments! Has saved me on many occasions and now going forward, I will have my phone backed up wirelessly to the cloud!

I am really going to like my pictures automatically being on my Mac and Apple TV!

Just awesome!

2. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Google has this partially for Contacts, Mail and Calendars. Google Docs can kind of do the Documents in the Cloud part. But I agree, iCloud seems to be a more integrated and simpler way. And I want an @me.com email address! :D

3. vikingjunior macrumors 65816

vikingjunior

Hmmm syncing contacts, cal. files why didn't someone think of this early o Google did years ago.

4. drober30 thread starter macrumors 6502a

There's more to iCloud than contact, calendar and files. Backup of your device, photo stream and apps in sync with all your Apple devices.

Really looking forward to it myself!

5. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Maybe if you're on a decent data network. I max at 0.3Mb down/0.05Mb up. iCloud is irrelevant.

6. Millionin20s macrumors regular

I'd be a lot happier with it if the space wasn't so limited and streaming music/video didn't cost an additional $25 a year. That said, Apple is the best in the industry at integrating devices and experiences, so I can see why people are happy with it.

7. Kontext macrumors newbie

I don't think it's that people disregard it, but more that iCloud doesn't seem like a feature of the iPhone 4S. I think this is because of how it was presented and what devices benefit from it. It was announced at the WWC, long before the iPhone 4S was introduced. Also, nearly all Apple products can synch with it, so it doesn't really have that much to do with the 4S.
    So all in all, iCloud may be great, but it doesn't make the iPhone 4S more interesting than the iPhone 4, 3GS, Mac, etc.

8. fenskezen macrumors regular

I am really looking forward to icloud. The question I have is this: I have a 5G data limit on my air card, unlimited on my iphone. The phone won't be an issue but will I have problems staying within my limits on my air card by using a cloud service? I understand movies, tv..etc is out, but what about the basics? And...I have slow internet speeds. I just don't know how it will all work.

More importantly..given the data caps now put on most plans and the fact that most providers slow down high data users, is there really a disconnect between the cloud based services and the providers of internet services? Seems like one side is limiting data/slowing it down and the other is asking us use these great new services.

That all said, I can't wait to try out icloud!!!!!:p

9. D4F Guest

D4F

I'm happy to have unlimited mobile but those that don't have and will forget to set it on manual might get a shock once their movies/images/music decided to sync.

GB's will fly. This is cell providers dream.

10. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

iCloud is available across all devices that support iOS 5, so it's more part of that than the iPhone 4s.

The only bit of iCloud that really interests me is Music Match and it's not available in the UK until next year, so it's a bit of a non-event for me :(

11. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

People are ignoring it because its a rip off of what google has done for years already, only Apple has the nerve to charge you for it.

Contacts? Google Contacts
    Pictures? Google Picasa
    Calendar? Google Calendar
    Documents? Google Docs
    Music? Google Music (still in beta)
    Google Market already keeps track of what apps you have downloaded.

Maybe they should call it iCopy

12. JMC08 macrumors regular

Because it's major feature requires you to have more than one Apple device, and because you can't stream anything.

13. androiphone macrumors 65816

I was under the impression that most of the iCloud features are WiFi only eg the app downloads, and definitely the iCloud backup so mobile data won't be affected.

personally I use gmail and have been using gmail for contacts and calendar sync since google sync was released all those years ago,
    photo stream I'm not going to use as I have no desire for any of my photos to be 'uncontrollable' eg on apples servers,
    iCloud backup - I'm just going to carry on using iTunes which I am more than happy with,
    and that just leaves reminders and notes sync which I also don't think I'll use cause I'm not a big note taker and also part of me doesn't personal notes on a not-in-my-control servers.