Why aren't any of the Apps Universal Binary?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Joshuarocks, Mar 18, 2011.

1. Joshuarocks macrumors 6502

Joshuarocks

I was browsing the App Store recently and even the most simplest and smallest are INTEL ONLY.. Granted, I know its been like 4-5 years since PowerPC has been dropped, but you would expect that most of the smaller apps on the app store would be UNIVERSAL BINARY? I have the following macs, of which 70 percent of my work is done on my PowerBook G4(everyday computing tasks, while on the mac pro I do my dvd ripping, and some dvd encoding).

Its a real shame that UB is dying, but you would think the many minor software developers would design some of these apps to work on both Intel and PPC..

My macs: 2010 6-core Mac Pro(originally was 2009, but bought new boards for it). PowerBook G4 1.67 Hi-Res 17 inch w/PATA SSD. PowerBook G3 Pismo, or "pismo" for my OS 9 nostalgia, and finally a Gateway P-6860fx gaming laptop for my windows needs.

While I did install windows 7 on my 2009 parts, the 2010 parts I haven't attempted to install windows 7 on due to problems I heard with the newer graphics cards.

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

The app store is only available in 10.6.6, which only works on Intel anyway, so there's no need for universal binaries.

3. Joshuarocks thread starter macrumors 6502

Joshuarocks

Still doesn't answer the question..

4. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

Yes it does, why support universal binary on a system that is intel only?

5. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

Apple isn't going to make money off of PPC mac users - even if they made profits off of universal binaries it just isn't worth it to them I suppose. Too bad. They'd rather see all of the G5s and G4s that are still perfectly usable in landfills.

Why is beyond me. I refuse to throw away a perfectly good computer. >>

So yea, no 10.5.x version of the App store, and if you make your app a universal binary apple will not allow it on the app store. Strange I know.