Why aren't I eligible for early upgrade pricing?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dmx, Jun 8, 2010.

1. dmx macrumors 6502a

Let me start off by saying I'm not trying to be cheap. I knew when the 3GS came out that the 4 was one year away. If I have to pay full retail (599), I will.

I've had my 3GS since August 2009. My bill was the base with the $5 texting plan until I changed the texting to unlimited in October. Since October, I think my bill is 89.99 a month + fees etc.

When I check my upgrade status, I get..

iPhone Upgrade
    You can take advantage of our no commitment pricing at a participating retail sales location. You may qualify for a full discount on a standard iPhone upgrade on 01/16/2011

I don' expect the full subsidy, but since I've had the phone for a year shouldn't I be eligible for the early upgrade pricing sometime before January? :confused:

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Same here.
    I dont know whats up with that.
    I'd gladly pay the early update price but why wouldnt they allow this?
    I thought anyone could do the early update thing.

3. mistertomlinson macrumors 6502

I'm in the same boat. Bought every iPhone to date. I got the 3GS DAY ONE and as of June 19th, my contract will be a year old. It would seem like I'd get SOME kinda discount, like the $400 price I got on the 3GS when I purchased it, but I have to pay $599. Sad face.

4. dmx thread starter macrumors 6502a

Exactly. I don't think it is unreasonable to expect the early upgrade pricing after 1 year on your current contract, especially when you consider how much AT&T charges compared to other carriers.

5. pcorrado macrumors 6502

maybe it has something to do with using an early upgrade last year? I'm not sure if that fact is in common with everyone here.

6. elephunkman macrumors 65816

Same here, I don't mind putting another 2 years. As a result, I'll be using the upgrade from one of my other lines.

7. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

8. dmx thread starter macrumors 6502a

Actually, now that you mentioned that, yes I did use an early upgrade for my 3GS. That must be it.

Nevertheless, when many who have a 3GS are eligible for a full subsidy at launch (right?), I still think I should at least get the early upgrade price a year later. (August or so)

9. christyn macrumors 6502a

yep, exactly what I was going to say..

10. wr1020 macrumors regular

Well i got my 3gs on release date last year as a brand new AT&T customer and my bill is a lot less than $100 thanks to my fan discount and i'm getting the upgrade discount of 199/299. Can't wait, putting in a pre order for a 32gb.

11. dmx thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, that is one of the reasons I don't get the full subsidy... but shouldn't I at least be eligible for the early upgrade pricing?

12. pcorrado macrumors 6502

I agree - I mean they should really just change the iPhone contract to 18 months with a 1 year upgrade cycle - they must make enough on the plans to cover the subsidy - they got us all hooked on upgrading yearly anyway. But those are just the musings from an excited consumer who knows nothing of this businesses internal workings!

My wife and I are early upgrade eligible and we got our phones in september after returning to AT&T from trying out sprint so we paid new customer pricing - the only reason I would think we have the early upgrade option and others who bought before us don't has to be exercising the option with the 3GS - I would complain to AT&T, file a complaint with the BBB or try to get in touch with executive relations - if this is the policy maybe we an get it changed.