Why aren't new HD webcams being supported on Mac OS ?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by kieranm, Jun 30, 2007.

1. kieranm macrumors newbie

2. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

Macs already come with built in iSights.

Logitech probably figures that driver development for the 3 Mac users who would buy these are not worth the cost.

3. MagnusVonMagnum macrumors 601

MagnusVonMagnum

Where is the iSight on the MacMini and MacPro located at? If I'm using an external high quality monitor on a laptop, what good does it do me? If I want to carry a camera around the room, what good are built-in iSights (should I carry the laptop around the room?). I'd like to see some high quality network capable iSights become available, personally.

4. scottlinux macrumors 6502a

scottlinux

Depending on the chipset, that model probably works in OS X. Logitech has some quickcam-whatever software for OS X, also. Search on google and see if anyone has tested that particular model with OS X.

5. Macwood macrumors newbie

HD webcam for Mac OSX

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Definition-...A6IZK2ILJY4Q9&s=generic&qid=1227403189&sr=1-7

here is a review

My review is for the Hue webcam running on an Apple G5 Powermac running OSX Leopard.

Setup was straightforward. I ran the application which comes bundled on the CD install and moments later the drivers were installed and the camera fully detectable by the system. The bundled WebCam monitor software lets you record and compress videos to share with friends. Skype detected the camera and built in microphone immediately. I have also successfully used the microphone feature with Ventrilo and iChat. This is how I expect things to work - no fiddling with software or settings!

The resolution on the camera is very good, almost unsettlingly so. I can even clearly see my pores if I set it to the maximum sharpness. You can change the video options in the bundled software and there's a manual focus around the lens itself to fine tune if required.

My favourite thing about this webcam though is the flexibility. A lot of cameras require fixing to the desk or monitor, or are limited to a few different positions. This Hue however is limited only to my imagination. Depending on what I'm doing I can use it in the dock it came with or disconnect it to plug the camera directly into my monitor's USB port, freeing up some desktop space (and helping to find the perfect angle!). The posable design allows you to effortlessly adjust the height and direction.

Innovative design but without sacrificing ease of use or functionality - this webcam is exactly what I needed!
    Comment Comment | Permalink | Was this review helpful to you? YesNo (Report this)

6. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Didn't logitech just bring out a new flagship model webcam that only supports mac? Remember reading that a few weeks ago on Engadget.

Found!