Why Aren't Notifications a Big Deal for iPhone Users?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by felixxiano, Jun 24, 2009.

1. felixxiano macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

If you read my topic yesterday, I bought a Pre, and although I was very happy with the software, I had some issues with the hardware. Specifically, the phone wiggles when closed, and that really bothers me. It makes it look cheap.

Today, I brough my iPhone to work, and I'm playing it. The hardware is awesome, but I have severe issues with the software. Specifically, I am talking about IM notifications.

They barely got AIM with push notifications, which is decent. However, it takes some time to respond to messages b/c u have to click 'view', wait for aim to launch, and then load the message. That's kinda bummer. Still no push for gmail or facebook though.

How did you guys survive without push notifications for all these years? I mean no offense; however, I do not know how you could possibly survive without getting new notifications when friends are trying to chat with you unless you are using txts messages, but that's not true 'push'

Am I weird for wanting responses immediately when people try to chat with me?

2. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

3. Gromet macrumors regular

Gromet

Do you really live your life waiting for your friends to IM you? You have a cell phone. If you are not online via AIM right now there are other options.

1) They could TEXT Message you.
    2) They could CALL you.
    3) The could e-mail you.
    4) You can setup AIM (like I Do) that will show you as mobile and if they email you it converts it to text and text messages your phone.

AMAZING!!!

Gromet

4. ss957916 macrumors 6502a

It's a phone - why don't you just ring them if you want an immediate response?

5. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Like, I want push as much as I feel is "normal" ... but are people really that hardcore into MSN and ICQ and stuff still?

I just feel like MSN/IM is kind of "over". Between calls, texts and facebook, I just don't see the need for MSN/ICQ anymore.

That's just me though
    - I don't feel the need to reply to a wall post or a picture comment in "real-time", and if someone needs to get a hold of me *right now* (and I know and like them) they can just call/text me. But again, that's just me.

I would, however, happily take an iChat like situation on the iPhone if it were exactly like BBM on Blackberries.

6. eezing macrumors 6502

eezing

TXT message.

7. Que macrumors 6502

i want to be contacted by friends on my terms, if i don't want to talk i certainly don't want them pushing crap to my phone.

maybe you should look at yourself, the reason you can't live without push might be that you're desperately looking for acceptance from your friends, hence the reason you're so worried if they can't get hold of you immediately.

sod that.

oh and another eason i dont care about im.....i'm not a 12 year old girl.

8. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

I know how OTHER people survived-
    Rant and rant on this forum

How I survived:
    Ah, it's a phone, you call people, or you text them.
    My one friend always texts me with just: "AIM?", and I'm like, okay. or if I'm busy, I'd give her a reason.

If I'm on the road, I open the AIM app, it's not hard.

9. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

I barely use push IM now that I have it.

When i didn't have push, I had my notifications emailed to my mobile me or txted to me. That worked quite well.

People txt me anyways. Not IM.

10. alansaysstop macrumors regular

if you need your facebook messages PUSHED to you, you might need a little help. A notification is PUSHED to your email address letting you know you have a message, isn't there? Is that not good enough?

11. PhoneI macrumors 65816

Using beejive, when a new IM comes in it takes about 1.5 seconds to get to the screen to respond on my 3GS. I can certainly live with that, and its certainly no reason to switch to a crappy Palm device.

I don't think "notifications" is at the top of my list when deciding what phone to purchase.

Now, can you please explain how you can live with the 4-5 seconds it takes for the Pre to launch every app?

12. Stu-Pid macrumors newbie

This may shock you, but I am 31 and did not own a mobile phone until I was 21. When I went to university at 18, probably 1 in 6 people had mobile phones, but by the end of the 4 years, that was probably up to 4 in 6 people. Even then though, we had phone calls and text messages, with no web browsing, no IM and no push notifications.

Now, my recollection of 13 years ago isn't perfect, but I'm pretty sure that civilization managed to exist perfectly well. I'm almost certain that people had social lives, jobs, hobbies and even occasionally had fun (I kid you not). I don't recall people wandering around helplessly due to the lack of ability to exchange pointless information with their friends 24 hours a day via IM, and to my knowledge suicide rates back then weren't any higher than today.

Some of the people on this forum really need to get a reality check and realise that there are some actual real problems in the world that may be more important than the fact that they have to wait an (admittedly agonising) 15 seconds to reply to an IM.

Just be grateful that you can use IM, and can contact your friends whenever you want. Should the need arise for you to urgently receive a piece of information from a friend, then I'd suggest that they do what we did 10 years ago; send a text or (and I know that this is outlandish) actually make a phone call and speak to the person directly.

It saddens me that I was forced to post this as my first ever post, but the amount of whiney crap on the forum lately has finally proven to be too much...

13. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

Some people are just silly. For example, the ones crying for Push in Facebook. I mean, get a life.

14. Badandy macrumors 68040

Badandy

Civliization also existed before good toilet paper. Why do we need it! Who's with me?

I'm almost certain some people who like their iPhones still have all those things you listed.

Look, I agree with the general tenor of your post. I think kids are far too "reliant" on OMG TXTING over real social interaction, but I think you're discounting some really great technology and progress by just being a reactionary curmudgeon...at age 31. Lighten up, don't worry about it. :)

You're in no position of omniscience to say people who want push on Facebook need to get lives. It would be a good feature. I'd like it purely for the fact that some people insist on sending my facebook messages rather than texts or emails.

15. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Post of the day. How true is this. Why do SO many people feel the need to be constantly accessible at a moments notice via so many sources? Facebook, AIM, MSN, Email, etc. If someone NEEDS to get a hold of me, they can call me or text me. I don't need my emails delivered to my phone instantly, waiting the 10-15 minutes for the next email query was fine by me. I don't NEED my friends clogging my phone with messages. If I want to talk on AIM, I load it up.

So to the OP, yes your constant need to be socially available at every moment of your life is strange and it seems like a cry for attention and acceptance (or the fact that you are very bored and need something to better occupy your time) more than anything. I just turned 21, I have Facebook and all that stuff, and I am not some old guy ranting, but I don't feel the need to be that accessible every moment of my life.

16. mak10 macrumors regular

I only use the AIM to save a little money on text messages... and now with the Push it's even better. Not many of my friends still use AIM so the ability to send messages as texts right to their phones is pretty nice.

17. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I have barely used AIM in the past three years. Most everybody I know is on Facebook, so I'll get messages or whatever on there. If they need something instantly, I'm paying the $5/month for 200 text messages. I also have e-mail and, oh yeah, a phone in this device.

I'll be glad when AIM push notifications work a little better, but I think those of us past our college years don't use it too much.

18. felixxiano thread starter macrumors newbie

Well. I am sorry that some of you are part of the Generation X, Baby boomers or even from the Great Depression; however, most young people like to be connected all the time.

What I ask is not something out of this world; many other phones already do it.

I dont understand why you have to attack someone personally over a question!

Is that grown up? Not so much

19. tjp888 macrumors regular

tjp888

I know what you mean

felixxiano,

I don't use AIM ethier. But I know what you mean about the Pre. I had one for a week and the way Palm setup notifications was excellent. Far superior to the way my new 3Gs handles them.
    That is the biggest thing I miss about the Pre. What I don't miss is the crappy Sprint service I had with it.

20. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

I stopped using instant messaging when I hit puberty, but if you rely on IMing for whatever reason, then yeah I can see that not having push would suck a lot.

21. wingnut8 macrumors 65816

wingnut8

Well this thread is full of people who are just way too cool for IM!

22. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

No, its not that. But the idea that you need to be accessible 24 hours a day via a bunch of mediums is dumb. Some people may like how cool they feel knowing they are signed into AIM/Facebook 24 hours a day, but I prefer not to be the guy on the buddy list who never signs off. Makes it look like he has no life. Thats a fact.

Plus once you get into college you realize nobody uses AIM anymore and almost all your friends have unlimited texting anyway.

23. doubleatheman macrumors 6502a

doubleatheman

From the mix of text alerts, email alerts,

Enough things did push to the iphone to make it work ok...

Now that push is built right into some apps, its cool!

and the iphone 3gs launches the apps fast enough to make the "view" button seem semeless!

24. ckorhonen macrumors member

ckorhonen

For the most part, I don't think I need most push notifications - the iPhone handles e-mail perfectly which is the main communication medium I use on the go.

I played a bit with BeeJive today and really disliked it - I think its a case of not actually wanting to recieve IM on the move, because usually I'm not in the right situation to jump into a conversation, and if its urgent, people can call/text.

Where I can see Push working is in conjunction with apps like Facebook, broadcasting new messages/notifications; or in location based apps such as Loopt/FourSquare, notifiying me of friends activity without being in the actual app.

25. nyquistfilter macrumors newbie