Why aren't the iMac fans throttled?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by daneoni, Aug 28, 2007.

1. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

On the notebooks the fans are throttled, they speed up when the CPU is under heavy use and throttle down at idle speeds. However the iMac fans seem to remain at 1200rpm (CPU HDD) or 999(optical drive) regardless of usage

Anyone else notice this?

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I would guess that since the case is so thin they have to be on all of the time to keep it from overheating.

3. oduinnin macrumors regular

The two fans in my MacBook Pro pretty much stay at 1000 RPM, give or take 10 RPM. The only time they run faster is when I'm compressing video or writing video to DVD. :cool:

4. Craiger macrumors 6502a

Craiger

I think that they are throttled, but it takes a lot for them increase their RPM's. I remember them increasing slightly when I was watching an HD show on-line while also playing with google earth and a few other apps.

5. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

The fans on my MBP never go below 2000rpm. Even with a cooling stand blowing cool air on the bottom.

6. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

So overall default fan speeds seem to have increased BUT won't having the fan at 1200rpm ALL the time wear out the bearings quicker?

7. Santa Rosa macrumors 65816

Santa Rosa

That is sort of like saying you would rather they werent on at all?

Fans not on constantly = cooked Mac :)

8. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

Yeah i know. Would havebeen nice if the fans throttled down to 999rpm or something when the machine was idle. Then again they're at 1200 for a reason so who am i to argue with Apple engineers.