Why Aren't There Any Good Bookmark Managers for Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jason.siegel, May 21, 2016.

1. jason.siegel macrumors 6502

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there aren't any good web bookmark managers for Mac, are there? I've been using Macs for 15 years and have always struggled with web bookmarks. Safari's current implementation is super difficult to use — especially with a large quantity of bookmarks. What are you all using to manage your bookmarks, and is there a particular reason why bookmark managers are so hard to find?

Thanks!

2. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

Xmarks is good, multiplatform. I paid for it bundled with LastPass.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

4. chscag macrumors 68000

Unless Xmarks has recently made improvements, I don't recommend using it. It had a bad habit of creating dupes when trying to sync Safari with Chrome.

5. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

Thanks @chscag – I never tested with Chrome, and I rarely touch Safari.

(For moving away from Apple products, Firefox and Xmarks became my friends.)

6. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

little bookmark Box is good. http://www.pointworks.de/software/little-bookmark-box/

7. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

@Michaelgtrusa I don't see bookmark management amongst the features of Voila or Voila Web Screenshot …

8. Michaelgtrusa, May 22, 2016
    Last edited: May 22, 2016

Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

Sorry, It was the wrong thread. Updated.

9. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

That looks great.

Something about Pins reminds me of Qu-s, which is not really a bookmark manager (!) but long ago I did sometimes use it to manage some of my bookmarks in a project-oriented way.

10. steve23094 macrumors 68000

steve23094

Make sure whatever you choose is fully compatible with iCloud. Trying to organise iCloud synced bookmarks is a nightmare.

I use Sheep Systems Smarky too, it's the only one I could find that worked with iCloud. But saying that I think it's awkward and confusing to use.

11. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

An image springs to mind: black and white, a lady screams as a giant ant appears over the brow of a hill. Them!

12. jagooch macrumors regular

jagooch

I'm looking for tool that finds and removed duplicate/dead bookmarks as well. The only bookmark manager I found that is still alive it Safari Prairiefire , but it hasn't been updated since 6/6/2015. I'd rather find something that is more actively updated to raise my confidence that it will work with current software.

13. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

http://www.sheepsystems.com/products/bookmacster.html

I use BookMacster and it will do everything you just listed and more. Not free though. I have been using it three or four years or so and it gets the job done and the dev. seems to update regularly.