Why Aren't There Any Good Bookmark Managers for Mac?

jason.siegel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2011
Correct me if I'm wrong, but there aren't any good web bookmark managers for Mac, are there? I've been using Macs for 15 years and have always struggled with web bookmarks. Safari's current implementation is super difficult to use — especially with a large quantity of bookmarks. What are you all using to manage your bookmarks, and is there a particular reason why bookmark managers are so hard to find?

Thanks!

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
Thanks @chscag – I never tested with Chrome, and I rarely touch Safari.

(For moving away from Apple products, Firefox and Xmarks became my friends.)

Comment

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008
Correct me if I'm wrong, but there aren't any good web bookmark managers for Mac, are there? I've been using Macs for 15 years and have always struggled with web bookmarks. Safari's current implementation is super difficult to use — especially with a large quantity of bookmarks. What are you all using to manage your bookmarks, and is there a particular reason why bookmark managers are so hard to find?

Thanks!
little bookmark Box is good. http://www.pointworks.de/software/little-bookmark-box/

Reactions: grahamperrin
Comment

steve23094

macrumors 68030
Apr 23, 2013
Make sure whatever you choose is fully compatible with iCloud. Trying to organise iCloud synced bookmarks is a nightmare.

I use Sheep Systems Smarky too, it's the only one I could find that worked with iCloud. But saying that I think it's awkward and confusing to use.

Comment

jagooch

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2009
Denver, co
I'm looking for tool that finds and removed duplicate/dead bookmarks as well. The only bookmark manager I found that is still alive it Safari Prairiefire , but it hasn't been updated since 6/6/2015. I'd rather find something that is more actively updated to raise my confidence that it will work with current software.

Comment

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I'm looking for tool that finds and removed duplicate/dead bookmarks as well. The only bookmark manager I found that is still alive it Safari Prairiefire , but it hasn't been updated since 6/6/2015. I'd rather find something that is more actively updated to raise my confidence that it will work with current software.
http://www.sheepsystems.com/products/bookmacster.html

I use BookMacster and it will do everything you just listed and more. Not free though. I have been using it three or four years or so and it gets the job done and the dev. seems to update regularly.

Reactions: grahamperrin
Comment