Why Aren't There / Where Can I Find SD Card Readers To Firewire 400?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Maserati7200, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Maserati7200 macrumors 6502a

Maserati7200

11230, Midwood, Brooklyn, NY, USA, North America
    Hi everyone. Anyway, I have a camera that has an SD slot and I use an 8GB card. When I connect my camera to my Macbook, it looks like it's going closer to uSB 1.1 speeds than USB 2.0, nowhere close to 480 Mbps. This is really inconvenient and would like a faster solution. I've searched Amazon and I've found CF to FireWire 800/400 readers, but none for SD. I've found a few USB 2.0 ones for SD, but USB 2.0 is not nearly as fast as Fire Wire in the real world.

Anyway, does anyone know of Firewire to SD card readers? I'd really like one. It annoys me they only have fire wire for compact flash.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I'd like to say that is because SD is more consumer grade camera card types, but I am sure people will get ruffled and disagree.
    I don't think there has been a huge market for SD to FW yet but give it time. Until then, I know of no maker of such device.

3. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

Jessica's right.

Also, very few SD cards exceed the transfer rate of USB 2, and Compact Flash is faster, enough so to saturate USB.

This won't remain true indefinitely, though.

4. Maserati7200 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Maserati7200

I see your points. I guess I'll buy a USB2 to SD now (because they're pretty cheap anyway and I know a USB 2.0/SD reader will be a lot faster than the speed which my camera currently transfers) and if anything with firewire comes up, i'll be first in line.

And I'm sorry that I'm responsible for your fish's death, jessica. :( ;)

5. yaroldb macrumors 6502

You can always buy a a CF firewire reader and a get one of these.

6. Maserati7200 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Maserati7200

Thanks for that!! I'm going to do that! I didn't know those existed...

7. occamsrazor macrumors 6502

occamsrazor

8. bcburrows macrumors 6502

bcburrows

My understanding is that no matter what transfer method you use, you will always be limited by the speed of your card

I use the extreme SD cards in my camera and cheaper generic ones for my digital photo frame - big difference in price and big difference in performance

I use my camera via USB (lumix) to transfer pics and have used a usb memory card reader - have to say difference noticed was minimal between these methods but massive between cards

9. occamsrazor macrumors 6502

occamsrazor

It's true that for SD cards, the card is pretty slow compared to CF, I didn't realise that... from the links I posted the faster SD cards are in the 20-30MB/sec range, while the faster CF cards are in the 40-80MB/sec range - meaning those fast CF cards are surpassing even FW400 speed, hence the need for a FW800 reader.

But given the slow SD card speeds, I do wonder if there is really any point in the SD>CF adapter + Firewire reader setup you were considering. You might be better off with just a fast-ish and much cheaper USB2 reader. Check the second link I posted to see what is the speed of your cards.