Why aren't these tapes working?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by iMacZealot, Apr 27, 2008.

1. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

I was just send about half a dozen miniDV tapes for this client's project I need to edit together in about ten days. As I was putting in the first one, the tape ripped...great. However, that's not the point.

I put in the second tape, and my HV20 says "Incorrect Tape Specification - Playback is Restricted" in giant red letters. All of my other cameras, which are SD, do the same thing. I even checked to see if the tape was LP, and it still did the same thing. I don't understand why these tapes that were sent to me aren't working. They're identical to ones I used before I switched to high definition.

Any help? Thanks.

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Any idea which brand and model of tape gives you the problem?

3. ChemiosMurphy macrumors 6502

DVCAM !!!!! I be the client recorded them in DVCAM mode....

4. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

After some investigation in my camera's manual, the tapes are either PAL or SECAM. I think it's PAL since I think my client is in Singapore, but I can't be sure. I really wish Sony would indicate that on their tapes.

So, what's next? How do I convert them to NTSC?

5. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

You mean like your client writing "PAL" on them?:p

Find a friend w/a camera that does NTSC and PAL (IIRC, a Z1U does both) or go to a post house or dub facility and pay for them to get transfered.

Lethal

6. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

...or Sony, at the very least.

I guess I'm off to Wolf Camera...how expensive would it be for them to transfer 4 tapes?

7. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

It's been a while so I'm not sure what the average going rate for tape transferring would be. But in either case, I would still bill your client accordingly.