Why aren't threads with fanboy in the title locked?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Rogifan, Nov 22, 2014.

1. Rogifan, Nov 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2014

Rogifan Suspended

Rogifan

Can a mod explain why a thread like this doesn't get locked? It seems to me using the word "fanboy" in the title is derogatory and is just looking to start a flame war. I thought the alternate to iOS forum was a place for people to discuss other products without cluttering up the iPhone/iPad/iOS forums, not a place to engage in "fanboy" wars. Can a mod explain the exact purpose of that forum?

2. Apple fanboy, Nov 22, 2014

Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

I'm not sure all fanboy threads should be locked!:D

3. Meister Suspended

Meister

I am also wondering why you are not banned ;)

4. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

Harsh!

5. Meister Suspended

Meister

Joke! I like :apple: fanboys 'n' girls :)

Samsung fanboys should be banned though.

6. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

Someone, quick! Lock this thread! It has "Fanboy" in the title!

7. Mr. McMac, Nov 22, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2014

Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

I'm not a fan of fanboys, but they have a right to vent their opinions. That being said, I just ignore them. If it bothers you, you should do the same..

8. Rogifan thread starter Suspended

Rogifan

I'm not talking about fanboys, I'm talking about people starting threads with the express purpose of starting a flame war. I thought the alternative to iOS forum was to talk about non-iOS products not call people who use Apple products "fanboys". I'm sure if someone started a thread there called "why do some Android fanboys hate on Apple" they'd get a warning or put in time-out.

9. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Why does it bother you so much?

10. theapplefanboyj, Nov 22, 2014

theapplefanboyj macrumors 6502a

That's my thread by the way.

The only reason I created it was so that Apple fanboys and Android fanboys could put away their differences because it's not funny when people talk bs about how 'laggy' android is and how apple charges for so much space. But I usually heard more hate to android, so why couldn't I open this thread?
    I agree, it has gone out of hand with some of the posts in that topic. But other than that it's fine.

11. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

The word "fanboy" in and of itself isn't a problem. Fanboyism is a phenomenon like anything else. When the word "fanboy" is applied to a specific member in a discussion, however, it's name-calling and therefore a rules violation. Sometimes things aren't clear-cut, though, like when a term is used to rile up others. Then it becomes another type of violation (trolling).

Anyone who sees something s/he feels is over the line in relation to the rules, should report it. If we don't do anything about it, and you wonder why, you can contact us to ask. When no moderation has been done, there's no privacy to protect, and we're happy to explain.

Remember - and I'm speaking generally here - if you see a thread that seems to have problems, and the problems seem to be allowed to exist, chances are no one has reported it. The moderators can't possibly see all problems, so we're always grateful for reports. Don't be afraid to report too much, it's no extra work to speak of to take a look at a post that turns out to be ok! :)

The purpose of the Alternatives forum is stated on the forums main page:

"Discussion of non-Apple smartphones, tablets, and watches; their operating systems; comparisons with Apple products"

12. Rogifan thread starter Suspended

Rogifan

Ok but I was more curious about the mods thinking than specifically reporting that thread. I'm not going to report a thread if it's something that's perfectly legit (even if I don't think it should be).

13. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

I would say that just because a thread title uses the word 'fanboy' does not mean a violation has occurred and, therefore, doesn't necessarily need to be locked.

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its quite possible that the moderation team as not seen the thread. With the volume of threads/posts occurring each day, its impossible for the moderation team to see/review each and every thread and post.

Its quite possible as Dejo pointed out, that its not a volition, but it can't hurt to report it, so the team can review the thread.