Why are't ipads pushed the Cintiq direction?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by xMBPx, Feb 27, 2011.

1. xMBPx macrumors regular

I'm a student in art college, and we have access to many Cintiq tablets that are basically just computer screens you can draw on.

The problem with Cintiq's is that they are $2000.

So at the fraction of the cost, why aren't iPads getting any apps that would allow you to photoshop, etc.. ?

If I could use the iPad as a touch screen tablet for my MBP, this alone would justify me buying one.

2. nwcs macrumors 65816

nwcs

The power requirements of trying to do what the cintiq is doing (both in terms of actual power plus processing power) is the main reason. I think it will be a while but I do agree that it would be really cool.

3. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

The combination of a color LCD with industry-leading pen input capabilities allows photographers, designers, animators and other creative professionals to work naturally and intuitively directly on the surface of the large-format, 21.3" screen.

The new Cintiq 21UX detects 2048 levels of pressure, giving you even more control over pressure-sensitive pen effects such as line weight, opacity, and exposure. With Wacom's new Tip Sensor, the pen now features a lower activation force that captures even the most subtle nuances of pressure.

The ambidextrous design of the second generation Cintiq 21UX features a pair of rear-mounted Touch Strips, along with accompanying Touch Strip Toggle Buttons. In this manner, you'll gain instant control of up to four application-specific Touch Strip functions on each Touch Strip, such as brush size, zooming, scrolling and canvas rotation. Sixteen ExpressKeys™ (eight on either side of the display) boost productivity by providing quick access to keyboard shortcuts and modifier keys.

Sounds a bit like saying why don't the F1 team use my Mini, it's cheaper :D

4. xMBPx thread starter macrumors regular

I agree the Cintiq is more advanced for it's application, but the iPad could be a pretty good competitor to some of Wacom's lower level tablets, like the Bamboo. You'd at least be able to see what you're drawing, unlike the bamboo, which is only touch sensitive.

I haven't even seen any applications for this, that's all I'm getting at.

5. vrDrew macrumors 65816

David Hockney recently held an exhibit of art he'd created on his iPad.

David Hockney could probably sell plenty of artwork he created on the back of a cocktail napkin. Banksy could sell anything he spray painted on a cinderblock wall. Shakespeare and Dickens created their works using quill pens and parchment. Albert Einstein did his most significant work in theoretical physics using nothing more complicated than a blackboard and pen and paper. John D. Rockefeller and Alfred P. Sloan ran massive business empires using telegraphs and typewriters.

Lesson: Make the best of the tools you have available to you.

6. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I would like to see these two additions.

1: Make the iPad also capable of precise input from a fine tipped stylus

2: Make the screen pressure sensitive.

Would become a great art tool then.

7. Cha macrumors regular

It's probably not cost effective right now for Apple and still maintain the low price point. But pressure sensitivity in the touch interface is another area Apple should venture into sooner than later...

8. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I have a Cintiq 21UX, I choose it over a 30" ACD as I wanted a more immersive 'work tool' and so far have not regretted it.

An iPad solution and perhaps i should be patenting this....

One way of making a device work on the iPad would be if Wacom could release a Bluetooth enabled pen with pressure sensitivity built into it, which when paired with the iPad would send the drawing and pressure data to the iPad software which incorporates it.

That way Apple would not need to change it's hardware and many third party Apps would be able to incorporate the bluetooth pen tool.

Wacom could sell the pen as a peripheral for $99-129

Job done :)

9. serialtoon macrumors 6502a

serialtoon

And there you have it folks. The answer.

10. Piggie, Feb 27, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2011

Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

And a big fluffy ball for a nib that blocks out your drawing area?

The iPad is expecting a large area touched from which it then works out the centre point. I don't think it will register a fine point will it?

11. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Your missing the point.

My solution doesn't require the capacative touchscreen. It uses Bluetooth in the pen, communicating to the Bluetooth and software in the iPad to send information about position and pressure applied.

All it would take is the correct calibration algorithms and in principal it would be a viable solution.

The pen would feature a gyroscope and acelerometre for increased accuracy too.

12. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

And a $299 pen price ;)

I think it's normal to pack all the electronics into the device and keep the pen as small cheap and light as possible.

I know what you are saying but, I would be far better to change the screen tech than to add all that into a pen and have to power the pen really don't you think?

End of the day, the iPad has not been designed with this in mind, and I don't think it ever will be, as it's main function is as a touch/finger product.

13. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Nope, because that would make the iPad more expensive for people who don't need that functionality. If the solution was all in the pen the people who wanted it could get it and those who didn't want it wouldn't get it.

14. camelsnot macrumors 6502

camelsnot

not true at all. The actual draw on power for a tablet is negligible. Read up. Some tablet manufacturers are already investigating it and I"m sure Apple is one of them. The big thing is do they license through Wacom for their tech or use a no-name company in order to keep the costs down. I don't think they'd need an intuous4 levels of p/s, so something less would work on 2012 tablets.