Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Trundle

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 6, 2007
Seems that most users here got or tried to get there phone from AT&T?
I was just wondering why.

The Apple Store just seemed to be a better choice.

S1njin

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
NJ

Apple bombed out more frequently for me. I tried apple for 2 hours.

Bankerts

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2008
Got to use my corporate discount and AT&T can ship to my office rather than my billing address. Also, Apple Store was down at the time.

bevobadger

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2010
And going into the ATT store was much more of a sure thing because if you went to the Apple store or website, they had to tap into ATT's server (which was bombed) and in the store or on the ATT site, there was no redirection needed. I tried for several hours and gave up and went into the store at Noon CT and got it preordered.

Because last year AT&T worked flawlessly for me.

RafaelT

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2010
NM
If you tried to pre order any time before 8AM EST yesterday the Apple store was either closed or not working (no fault of AT&T there) and the AT&T store was letting you pre order just fine.

I really wanted to order from Apple, but I was smart enough to give up and go ahead and do it through AT&T and not bet on Apple fixing there servers. Good thing I went that route, I probably wouldn't have an iPhone coming to me on the 24th.

the-oz-man

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2009
Apple bombed out more frequently for me. I tried apple for 2 hours.

Same here. I could never get beyond the AT$T verification screen on Apple's site. AT$T was my backup plan and I'm so glad (and so worried) that I did this!

rburly

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2009
Florida
I tried both sites, ATT first. I knew, using *639# that I was gonna get the $299 price for the 32GB phone with the activation fee waived.

When I went to "Upgrade", the phones listed were all 3GS and below, no iPhone 4, so that made Apple's site really my only choice. And, so far*, all has worked out well with Apple. (*this may change any day!)

dendkmac

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2009
I tried for 5 hours to get in the AT&T Premier site and was unable to see the Iphone 4....tried the Apple site later and had the Iphone 4 in the cart ready to buy and ship the 24th but decided to wait till the fervor dies down and get it next month without an activation fee (Fan) and probably go with a white one.

palebluedot

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
An Apple sales rep on the phone just told me that they are unable to process Family Talk accounts and that you have to go through AT&T. Apple's site won't let me order and AT&T's site is down so I am stuck on both :confused:

ttech10

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2008
I wanted to use AT&T but they weren't giving me the option to buy the iPhone 4, just every other one possible.

joekun

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2005
I had the same problem as ttech10, wanted to order from AT&T to ensure no problems with my FAN and bonus minutes (which would be tough to get back if lost I believe). I preordered from Apple even though they couldn't verify my upgrade eligibility, I'm sure that won't be a problem on release day. I have to go pick it up but at least there will be one waiting for me when I get there. I'm hoping I don't have to activate at Apple so I can take it to an AT&T store to make certain my plan remains the same.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.