Why basic apps missing from iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by johndallas999, May 30, 2012.

1. johndallas999 macrumors 6502a

johndallas999

No weather or stocks as part of ios on iPad. There may be others but why weren't they included?

2. aristobrat macrumors G4

3. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

One plausible reason is the Apps were included with the Original iPhone because there was no App store. When the iPad was interdicted all the extra in house Apps were no longer needed. It even helps Apple and the App developers to let the market (us) decide on the type and style of Apps we want.

4. A2DY macrumors member

I could understand the lack of stocks or weather as the wifi only iPad wouldn't be able to use them when not on wifi so not as needed.
    However the lack of the calculator app is more of a mystery for me!

5. j.dstasio macrumors 6502

j.dstasio

Calculator and voice memos.

I don't have a need for a 3rd party app replacement for these. I jut need the basic functionality of the stock apps.

Although, I doubt the availability of third party apps from the apps store has anything to do with their exclusion. They have been standard on newer iPhones and iPod's.

6. number84 macrumors 6502

The most important one for me is the clock app. I always have my iPad beside my bed and would be very useful to have that app for the alarm clock. And there's simply no better 3rd party app that does this well enough while running in the background.

7. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

They're all available on the iPod Touch, which is wifi only.

I don't care much that they aren't there, but I DO care that none of the third-party versions go into the pull-down notifications.

8. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

While I understand the post, the fact is everyone uses their iPad differently.

In the overall scheme of things, this is not a big problem. Just a minor annoyance to some.

Yet Apps are so cheap it's not a big deal, especially when one considers just how nice the iPad is.

9. arcite macrumors 6502a

arcite

Cairo, trapped in a pyramid with my iphone

Why would apple care about the weather or stocks? App developers can so better, there are hundres of weather apps, and hundreds of good stock apps, including professional options.

10. kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

calculator here too

I really miss the calculator, but I would love it if we could add/delete some of the other basic apps like iMessenger, Game Center etc. I would to get rid of these like I can with iBooks.

I haven't found a comperable free calculator or weather app (that isn't full of ads etc.).

11. arcite macrumors 6502a

arcite

Cairo, trapped in a pyramid with my iphone
    I found one app that is just called CALCULATOR and it has no adds, and I use Accuwaether app, which does have ads, but they don't bug me. I guess you could just spend a few bucks and buy ad free versions. As for I messenger or game center, just make a folder on a back sheet and store them there out of the way, no sweat.

12. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

There are plenty of nice ones for 99 cents. Which is nothing considering you just paid $500+ for the ipad itself.

13. classicaliberal macrumors regular

classicaliberal

Agreed. I wouldn't spend much time 'missing' any of these apps being mentioned. Wi-Fi is everywhere. Find a hotspot and take two minutes to download your app of choice. If anything, this at least forces you to use the app store so you know how and can utilize it later.

Hey, maybe Apple is on to something here.

14. Haziza macrumors member

Haziza

I think calculator should be stock app. I don't want to pay some random developer 1 dollar for a apple calculator copy. I rather give my money to apple then for it

15. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

A very useful feature of the iPod/iPhone clock app is that you can set the timer to sleep the device after a given time interval. This is great when I want to listen to music as I'm falling asleep, and for some reason, no third-party app works quite as well as the stock music app + timer.

16. Jackintosh macrumors 6502a

Jackintosh

The Weather Channel app is pretty good (free and no ads).

I don't agree with an earlier post. Weather and calculator apps should have been included as default in the original setup. I have a Playbook and it was nice that Blackberry included both as a courtesy. Sure, I could have hunted down these apps, but it was convenient they were already there and ready to go.

17. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

I can just imagine Scott on stage.

"You know, customers have been loving their ipads, but the question I get asked most is. "When can we have a stocks app that we can't delete".

Well we've listened, and I'm glad to anounce with iOS6 there will be a stocks app on every iPad, and you can't deleted it!"

But seariously, I dont understand the calculator omission though.

18. nfl46 macrumors 603

This.

I see it coming in iOS 6.

19. kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

I've shelled out at least $15 for various weather apps etc.; none of them appeal to me and/or expect you to shell out more $ and/or private information for the full blown app. No thanks. I'll just stick with checking NOAA's website.

To me, .99 is something and while I don't expect a ton of bells and whistles, I do expect not to pay more in privacy info and/or cash for what the app "promises."

Not being snarky bigjnyc, just being more cautious.

20. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

Fair enough, I hadn't thought about that..... I guess the other issue is that you can't try out most apps before purchasing, so you might go through several apps before you find one that you like, and you are stuck with the purchases. Or to your point you might buy one that requires additional purchases or information in order to unlock or add a needed feature.

21. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

yeah but its not like this is an impossible task for apple to resize the stock apps for the ipad, and let the users have that option. i believe most people would like them on it.

22. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I don't disagree with you. But Apple can be very stubborn and deaf. :eek:

23. phlipanderson macrumors newbie

maybe you would discover it from time-to-time. also it depends on your use.