why beach ball with high end 2011 Imac setup?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by spoon72, Sep 28, 2011.

1. spoon72 macrumors regular

spoon72

Whenever I'm opening the aperture 3 or some other progam it will show the beach ball even though I have the 16G ram and the setup is the highest spec for the Imac 2011 27inch . is there any problem or I need to do anything to tweat it since it was bought for less than 6mths ?:confused:

2. sth macrumors 6502a

Backup your data and check your hard drive for defects using Disk Utility.
    Frequent beachballs can be a sign of a failing hard drive (although there are many other possible reasons).

3. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Before doing anything drastic I would boot off the recovery partition and verify and repair Disk Permissions. Sometimes this simple actions sort a hanging system.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

If you still have a hard drive, then this behavior sounds fairly normal. Your Aperture 3 library might have grown during the 6-month period, causing more I/O load during the launch of A3. HDs also get slower the fuller they are since the inner circles spin at lower speeds (well, the speed is the same 7200rpm but there is less area per spin).

5. spoon72 thread starter macrumors regular

spoon72

Yes I'm using harddisk ,so it seem even thought I have a highest spec but due to the harddisk I will never really going to feel the speed ,sad. SSD too ex for me.

I only used the Onyx to verify the harddisk and it said no problem found ,so does that really mean is ok ?

6. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

No. It is just checking SMART status indicators for failures. You should boot off the DVD or a repair partition and repair or verify the Disk. You can repair permissions without re-booting but it only fixes access permissions to system files. Not any kind of HDD damage or directory corruption. It also could just be Aperture as an application. Some apps do this no matter how much power you throw at them. Adobe products come to mind. I would think Apple would do a better job with opening libraries. How big is your library? Over 4GB may start to slow things down regardless.

7. spoon72 thread starter macrumors regular

spoon72

i just upgrade from SL few mths ago to Lion, so how to use the boot up method to verify the disk? still using dvd disc or ?

8. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Boot holding down option key. Choose recovery partition. Open Disk Utility and click to repair the disk.