Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kevjen888

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
when paid in full that is. I have $300 worth of Beat Buy GC and reward money that I can use toward an 8+, But they charge $100 more for whatever reason.

kevjen888

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Wow really is that easy? Lol. Great. I will stop by there this weekend and try my luck. I have an old Verizon SIM to make their iPhone unlocked.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Wow really is that easy? Lol. Great. I will stop by there this weekend and try my luck. I have an old Verizon SIM to make their iPhone unlocked.
I haven't done it with phones, but Best Buy is really good with price matching. They make it very easy.

I bought a TV a few years ago, then about two weeks later, it went on sale, so all I had to do was bring in my receipt and the ad ... VOILA! I was credited something like $400.

titrau

Suspended
Aug 16, 2017
Dont touch bestbuy they re expensive ever ... 10 yrs ago bestbuy was #1
10 yrs later they drop behind samsung and apple

Nuc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2003
TN
I called them to do a price match and the wouldn’t. I may try in store instead of over the phone...

titrau

Suspended
Aug 16, 2017
why people order bestbuy apple has tons of stock tomorrow at retail store
bestbuy just little branches connect to apple

kevjen888

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
why people order bestbuy apple has tons of stock tomorrow at retail store
bestbuy just little branches connect to apple

Because I have BB gift card to use. I don’t find anything in Best Buy worth buying other than iPhones.

blackberrycubed

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2013
the idea is they can price match for those who ask AND for those who want to use coupons they can say "SORRY no double dipping!" coupon or price match.

Bastards i tell ya.

BeefSupreme

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2012
Best Buy is such a smart company. They really know how to get customers to think highly of them.

kevjen888

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
the idea is they can price match for those who ask AND for those who want to use coupons they can say "SORRY no double dipping!" coupon or price match.

Bastards i tell ya.

Oh shoot, didn’t think of that. Oh well guess it’s Apple store then.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA

Bastards i tell ya.

That's why you ask them to price match, then once the total rings up, then you give them the coupon.

It's a lot harder to say "no" after saying "yes" than it is to say "no" in the first place.

Also retail employees generally don't care what price you buy it at, unless their boss will hassle them about it.

brian3uk

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2016
I’ve never been able to get them to price match an iPhone. They charge more for the unactivated one because they’re losing the commission on the activation from the carrier.

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
I’ve never been able to get them to price match an iPhone. They charge more for the unactivated one because they’re losing the commission on the activation from the carrier.
BB employees don't make commission. They are tracked by rev per hour.

upnorth85

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2011
MN, USA
Best Buy is such a smart company. They really know how to get customers to think highly of them.
I have not been inside a Best Buy stores in years. I prefer to buy on Amazon as Prime member or head to Costco or Walmart. Eventually it will head the way of JC Penny, Circuit City and Sears.

missbing

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2015
I called them to do a price match and the wouldn’t. I may try in store instead of over the phone...
They don’t price match preorders. You’ll have to wait until it officially goes on sale tomorrow.

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
BB employees don't make commission. They are tracked by rev per hour.

Yes, but the store makes extra money from carriers for every activation. Since the store doesn’t get paid that extra bonus if they sell unlocked full price, they price the unlocked phones higher to discourage anyone from getting it without an activation (and if they pay the higher price it makes up for the carrier commission anyway).

JayIsAwesome

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2013
Texas
Yes, but the store makes extra money from carriers for every activation. Since the store doesn’t get paid that extra bonus if they sell unlocked full price, they price the unlocked phones higher to discourage anyone from getting it without an activation (and if they pay the higher price it makes up for the carrier commission anyway).
That's not true at all. For one best buy doesn't price unlocked phones higher. If anything, some of the unlocked phones are actually cheaper than their carrier specific counterparts (the unlocked S8 being one of them) . Best Buy simply doesn't make money off of iPhones. From a business standpoint, I get it. It's all about profit. However most stores will price match apple.com. But yeah theres 0 profit in an iPhone like there is in....say a Galaxy S8, unlocked or carrier specific.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.