why bootcamp need to restart?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by umbilical, Aug 22, 2008.

1. umbilical macrumors 6502a

hi why apple dont make something like coherence mode of parallels! I hate need to restart with bootcamp.

2. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

You are re-booting into a completely separate OS,how else could you do it ??

3. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

There were rumors back in the early days of Leopard's development that you would be able to suspend your OS X session and then launch Windows via Boot Camp and then suspend it and switch back to OS X. However, in the end Apple just stayed with the original concept as beta-tested in Tiger.

It was never meant to allow you to run applications side-by-side like Coherence in Parallels. It is possible Parallels has patented that capability, since it is really nice.

I just wish they would support 64-bit Operating Systems so I could move to Vista x64. VMWare Fusion is nice in that regard, but Coherence is just too compelling for me to give up.

4. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Why did apple give up that concept anyways. Wouldn't it be pretty easy since it'll basically hibernate the system, restart into windows, do whatever, then during restart back into OSX, it'll resume from the hibernate?

5. maxrobertson macrumors 6502a

They gave it up because if you write to a hibernated Windows drive, say if you were in OS X and wanted to copy a file to it, it will corrupt the whole drive. And Apple doesn't want to make it too easy to run windows. They want you to run it only if you absolutely need to. Mac OS X is the main OS and they want you to remember that.

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

VMWare has "Unity"

If you want Unity or Coherence, go and buy it. You want everything to be free?

7. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

But they also can't make it too hard. Bootcamp really is a pain. What would be cool is having two monitors, and having one show OS X and the other Windows (but that's just not happening :().

8. aiterum macrumors 6502

aiterum

this is called 2 computers

also how is it hard don't know how to use the restart function???:confused:

this is kind of how normal dual boot computers work

9. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

Oh, neat. Thanks. I'll have to give it a try.

10. kg9ov macrumors member

You can do this with VMWare and probably the other VM products. Load up a VM with windows, linux, solaris, etc. on it, put it on your second screen, and put it in full screen mode.

The reason you can't do that with BootCamp is because BootCamp is nothing more than a partitioning utility, a bunch of windows drivers, and some windows utilities. You have to reboot because Windows is not running in a VM, it's running directly on the hardware just like any other OS would (like OS X).

11. umbilical thread starter macrumors 6502a

I ask for games... bootcamp is better for run games.. but I want the os x too when run a game... well wait for apple new version of bootcamp without restart.

12. Infrared macrumors 68000

Infrared

You'll be waiting a long time ;)

What you are hoping for is not simple to implement.
    Each OS expects to be in complete control of the hardware.

To get what you want - if I understand you - you'd have to
    mediate hardware access through some sort of type 1 hypervisor:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypervisor

It's doubtful that Apple would bother implementing that.

13. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

Yes, I know how this stuff works. I was just thinking that with all the "parallelism" of these newfangled computers :p maybe they could find a way to have a mode that would split everything down the middle, and run two separate OSs at the same time. It seems possible, just hard.