Why buy a 13-inch Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Boesky, Jul 19, 2009.

1. Boesky macrumors 6502

I am wondering if I shoudl buy the high end 13-inch or spend an extra $200 for the 15-inch. Does the 13-inch Model still suffer from the problems with screen quality compared to the 15-inch model? I think I will buy the 15-inch MBP, but then I cant justify the extra $200 for just a bigger screen and a higher resolution. But then again... I can justify paying $1,500 for a 13-inch computer...:confused:

2. AdamLikesMusic macrumors 6502

Do you need the processor speed? You can get the exact same MBP, but with the 2.26 processor, for significantly less. (Not sure if you're a student or not. If so, it's an even bigger savings.)

3. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

Well the screen got 60% more color gamut at WWDC. If you buy the 13in Macbook Pro, you can always buy an external monitor.

4. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Read an article on the new screens and apparently they are pretty much the best laptop screens around. The 13/15/17 screens are all of the same quality. I'll see if I can find that article again.

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

6. Boesky thread starter macrumors 6502

Good link. At the APple Store, how can I put a 13-inch right next to a 15-inch?

7. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Tell one of the dudes with the light blue shirts and see if they can do that for u.

8. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Don't pull a Microsoft and think "I'm paying $1,500 for a 13-inch computer." Apple's displays are much better than the average PC screen, so it's not like you're getting crap. On those Laptop Hunters commercials when they brag about some 17-inch display on a $700 notebook, go take a look at the specs. The maximum pixels will probably be about the same as on the 13" MacBook, nowhere close to the 1920x1080 you can get on a MacBook Pro 17".

Also, take a look at all of the computer guts. Higher quality components will cost a bit more, but you'll thank yourself when the computer doesn't feel sluggish after a few years. I just helped a friend set up a wireless router to share a connection with a 3-year-old Gateway notebook and a brand new Asus netbook. The Gateway was hella slow when modifying settings on the router via Internet explorer, while the netbook was almost instant. The Gateway also didn't even get the wireless password set up because it didn't actually restart the modem. I have no clue what the deal with that is, but some new netbook shouldn't outdo a notebook, even if it's 3 years old.

I have a 2-year-old MacBook and only notice its age when trying to run brand new games. My graphics card was outdated 5 weeks after I bought it, so it's technically a little "older" than it is. But it still runs the stuff and is still very zippy.

9. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

i would say it comes down to portability and whether or not its a desktop replacement.

My 13 inch is perfect for my purposes but i dont game. Its fine for photoshop and stuff too. An external monitor is almost necessary though if its doing to be on your desk a lot as the extra workspace comes in quite handy.

at the end of the day, the portability of the 13 is what i like the most. its ultra flexible for my at home and on the go needs.

not saying I don't think the 15 inch ones are nice too.

10. cmF macrumors member

cmF

I'm a freelance web designer and a casual gamer. My main concerns were speed, graphics, portability, display quality, and of course, price.

After getting the 13" Macbook Pro about a month ago, I couldn't be more pleased with the results. But that's just me.

11. LightSpeed1 macrumors 6502a

LightSpeed1

What he said. I purchased mine about a month ago as well. It was my first Mac and I couldn't be happier. I felt for what i was doing with my MacBook i didn't need a desktop like replacement. If you go 13" just get an ACD and you'll be good.

12. RetepNamenots macrumors 6502

This. I found it impossible to even think of doing any type of graphics work on a 1280 x 800 screen.

13. Ddraig macrumors newbie

Well I guess you have to ask yourself what you want to do with your computer. If you are looking at one for gaming and heavy graphics editing then I would suggest a refurb 15" with the 9600M video card. If you want something for general use then go with the 13". I am happy with my 13" 2.26Ghz model but my main use for it is college.

14. petesonline macrumors newbie

switched from PC to a 13" MBP

I just switched form a PC to a 13" MBP and so far I'm extremely happy. I have to agree with a previous poster a $700 PC is bare bones. If you really price out a PC with all the same specs as an apple you will come very close in price just visit Lenovo and give it a try, you'll have to pay extra for some comparable specs. Also an aluminum case for protection, no one offers it at a $1200 price point. The battery is also solid, you pretty much will get 7hrs with other PC's what is rated you can pretty much half. Gestures on the track pad? awesome how did it escape me for this for so long. I use my MBP for advertising and ad presentations (PDF authoring, Indesign, Illustrator, Photoshop (not heavy duty), Aperture). For really task intensive stuff, my preferance is to use a system with 2 monitors I have no issues, so a 13, 15, or 17 is out of the question. I do have it hooked to a 23" monitor and it works nicely, no issues. The only issue I see is if you do a lot of video editing, if you have to process a lot of video in the field a second gpu will help significantly.

15. opera57 macrumors 6502

I have just replaced my June 2007 Macbook Pro with a 13" Macbook Air. I found the 15" to be a bit too big for carrying around and the 13" is much more convenient. If the quality of the 13" panel in the MBA is anything like the MBP then it is brilliant! The LED backlighting definitely makes the screen. [​IMG]

16. g3funk macrumors member

g3funk

This can be eased in a very simple manner:

1. IF this purchase is for a college then by all means get the low end 13 and upgraded it as you go a long. The 13' footprint is much more manageable for a college desk as well as a lugging around on campus.

2. If you do not plan on doing this then by all means go with the 15. I carried a 6 lb Sager laptop around my entire last two years of college and loved it. I never took notes in class and the laptop was moved maybe twice during the day. The reason I have 2 is because I got my 17 as a gift so I decided to get a much more manageable 13'. If I did not get the 17 then I would be rocking a february update 15' refurb...simple.

17. PolySciSurfer macrumors 6502

Because it's been proven it's the best computer ever made. :D

18. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

The 13" and 15" machines are really pretty close now. It just comes down to how much screen real estate you need vs. how much computer you want to carry around. For me, the 13" screen is just too small, especially in the widescreen format. There just aren't enough vertical pixels to do the things I do without constantly scrolling.

19. trondah macrumors 6502

I'd like to know why the hell wouldn't you buy a MBP :)