Why buy a 15-inch MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AppleNewYork, Jun 8, 2009.

1. AppleNewYork macrumors member

Same processor, same amount of ram, same hard drive size, same graphics card, different price. Only difference I see between the $1500 MacBook Pro and the $1700 MacBook Pro is there screen size. Which is only 2 inches. So... why buy it?

I assume the 15-inch still has the higher resolution, but didn't they upgrade the 13-inch screen?

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Screen quality might be better but the resolution is still set at 1280x800. I'm share your opinion. It might not be a high-end card but the way Apple revamped their line, the subtraction of the 9600M GT on the 15-inch is huge.

3. Ploki macrumors 68020

yeah but it doesnt have a greater resolution, just colors.

4. NathanCH macrumors 65816

NathanCH

Same resolution stretched out. Not sure I like that.

5. AppleNewYork thread starter macrumors member

so are you saying the $1700 version 15-inch macbook pro doesn't have the 1440x900 resolution?

6. akm3 macrumors 68020

'Just two inches' is a ~35% increase in surface area and 272,000 more pixels (a ~26% increase in resolution)

That 'just two inches' is a huge deal.

7. kockgunner macrumors 68000

kockgunner

This low end 15" Macbook Pro is like a dumb MBP. It's similar to those big monsters at Best Buy with integrated graphics or something. Basically, now you have to pay even more to get a Macbook Pro with a better GPU. In the end, pro users or gamers have to pay. The only people who win are those who can now say they own a Macbook Pro even though it is only a play on nomenclature.

8. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

Macbook Pro = MBP 17" non-glare w/ 8gig RAM.

Everything else is geared to the consumer - which isn't really a bad thing for Apple.

9. nick9191 macrumors 68040

All 15" MacBook Pro's feature the 1440 x 900 display, I don't know where this misconception is coming from.

The MacBook Pro with the discrete 9600M GT graphics costs $1999, the same as yesterday. Only with a faster processor, double memory, bigger hard drive and a 7 hour battery. There is no price increase.

10. Architect4122 macrumors regular

arg. yeah. the 17" is the new leader....its the only comp that still has the express card slot.

11. Feng Shui macrumors regular

12. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

And minus the expresscard slot... which is probably not geared to consumers as much as the SD card slot would be, so it got removed (like the matte/non-glare display option last time.) All the things we used to expect on a Macbook Pro are slowly being relegated to the 17" model. It's not too hard to see the direction this is going... whatever nomenclature Apple chooses to use is all irrelevant. The professional world is not really Apple's market any more, and Lenovo or someone else will eventually target that with specialized professional-level machines (they already are...) to compete with Apple's single remaining pro model. I'm not saying a plain old plastic Macbook can't be used professionally - of course it can, but the target market as far as Apple is concerned is not the professional creative/graphics/photography/video/music producing crowd anymore, but is really the consumer and college student crowd who need Facebook and YouTube type of ease-of-use with iPod/iPhone syncronization and strong internet integration. Next year when the hybrid OS X/iPhone OS tablet makes it's debut, it will likely solidify the target market as the socially active consumer, and most of Apple's future profit (like much of the most recent profit) will certainly come from the ranks of the consumer, not the professional/industrial purchasers.

Nothing wrong at all with this, but it's not a pro-oriented company anymore except in limited products.

13. akm3 macrumors 68020

They could have just as easily renamed all the 15" Macbook Pro's as 'Macbooks' and kept only the 17" as the 'Macbook Pro'.

It is just a dumb name, it means nothing.

We all have macbooks. Some are big some are small it doesn't matter that some say pro.

14. chris7777 macrumors 6502

You are all overlooking the old rumor of a cheaper consumer grade apple line.

This opens up huge potential in various fronts.

1) It opens the door for apple to re expand the polycarbonate line as a cheaper consumer oriented line.

2) It makes the decision to go pro much easier for folks like myself who want and "need" a more professional device but don't yet make the money to fullly justify it.

3) It gives apple a huge PR boost to combat the sucktastic "imapc" commercials.

I don't know about anyone else but I just don't buy that apple would leave the near iconic polycarbonate alone as the sole representation of its "consumer" line. especially with netbooks running osx.

The molds have been in use for several years, and with the potential to run an ipod mini like rainbow of colors there. It seems to be a huge potential to expand their customer base, especially since so many deem these obsolete, they could just put cheaper parts in them and sell them cheaper like say near the prices that the imapc commercials played off as acceptable.

This is huge news if apple runs with it, and not snob out its entire line as devices for the elite.

15. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Gamers shouldn't be using Macs or laptops in the first place. If they're dumb enough to buy one, they've made their own bed.

16. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

Oh come on, the MBP is a SOLID gaming device with bootcamp, although it isn't near the BEST.

17. louiseg0151 macrumors newbie

I've also just noticed that the 13" Macbook Pro also has firewire! Didn't they remove that from the Alu Macbooks?

18. akm3 macrumors 68020

The wailing and gnashing of teeth got them to change their mind. Or sales didn't meet expectations. Or they view it as a 'pro' feature and pertinent to the rebranding. Or Steve Jobs wasn't around to nix it.

But yes.

19. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

The true labels as follows:

Apple 13" MacBook Prosumer
    Apple 15" MacBook Prosumer
    Apple 17" MacBook Pro

20. pik. macrumors 6502

pik.

thats right....

21. mrrippey macrumors regular

difference between high end 13" and low end 15 are.....

For $200 more you get:
    1. 2" more screen
    2. More resolution
    3. Probably better sounding speakers next to the keyboard
    4. An extra pound to carry
    5. More base RAM (I could be wrong on this)

If u can deal with an extra pound, the $200 is worth it IMHO

22. akm3 macrumors 68020

A lot of 'pros' whined that the non-replaceable battery exempted the 17" from being labeled accurately as a pro machine.

I think the whole concept of 'pro' is ridiculous.

23. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Why buy 17 over 15 or vice versa? the 2 inch difference, and the components.

24. butterfly0fdoom macrumors 6502a

No increase in base RAM, but you do get about 30 minutes of extra battery life according to reviews and tests.

The audio in/out are also separated on the 15".

25. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

the hi-res (matte) screen on the 17" alone is worth it