why buy a 3gs over 3g

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tim2006, Jun 9, 2009.

1. tim2006 macrumors 6502

my iphone is all beat-up. i was planning on getting a new one but waited for the announcement. i have a black 3g. why should i buy a 3gs over just another 3g. the 3g is cheaper. are there any design differences like a matte back? i understand the 3gs is faster, faster doing what? 3g is already fast and at home on wifi my phone is as fast as my macbook pro. I don't care about video. what are the other differences?

2. peteryan7hao macrumors regular

peteryan7hao

I would buy it for its video camera and voice control

But Im not going to because Ive got iPhone 3G already... cut&paste is all I need anyway

3. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPod touch 32GB: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

Apart from video, the other differences are faster processor, longer battery life, voice control, compass, better camera, full support for the in ear headphones and autofocus

also, the 3g will now only come as 8gb: if you want more storage space you need the 3GS

there are no external differences

4. nerdish macrumors regular

I dont really see the benefit, its only worth upgrading if your contract is up!

5. stockcerts macrumors 65816

I was hoping to get the new phone, but I'm not eligible for the full subsidized price until December. It's just not worth paying the extra couple hundred dollars for the new changes, only to have another IPhone released six months later from December. Potentially this will have me looking at other smart phones when my contract is up.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The camera and the speed is tempting but there's really no other features that would tempt me to plunk down 399 for the phone. To be honest, if I had the opportunity to buy it at 299 I'd still wonder if I should.

Now if I wasn't an iPhone owner then it would be a no-brainer to buy it, but the delta between the 3G and 3Gs isn't that great.

7. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

8. nfl46 macrumors 603

For the people who are eligible for the 399/499 price, just sell your current iPhone on eBay and use that money towards the new one. :D

9. needthephone macrumors 6502a

If I didn't have a 3g I would definetly go for the 32G 3g S.

But there is not enough to tempt me away from my 9 mnth old 3g so I'll wait until next year for the 4G.

10. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

This is the primary difference, the speed bump is on a much higher order than the small speed bump the 2g iPod Touch received, this will make a difference in every aspect of the phone being faster. I am quite curious to see what the actual specs are, but I am guessing along with a new processor they also bumped up the ram.

The other reason I am going for a 3GS is the camera, I have an HTC Touch right now with a 2MP camera that is half decent, but the new iPhones camera has autofocus and touch to focus which is very nice to have. I usually don't use my phones camera as it is painfully slow but I am hoping the iPhone's is quite a bit better. According to Engadget the Pre had a nice responsive camera so I am hoping Apple gives us similar.

The video recording/cutting is nice also. And voice control. If I had a 3G I would definitely wait it out till next year because of the higher price, plus Apple will probably come out with something better....

11. matttye macrumors 601

The faster processor will make everything run more smoothly - including the rendering of web pages.

12. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

At this point I am considering allowing AT&T to keep me as their whipping girl for two more years because of the processor upgrade. I didn't expect that they'd really give a damn how it ran, just that it did. Otherwise, I'm fairly ok without it all.

I have no plans to unlock so AT&T will continue to get my cash and not give us simple features (MMS) because they're incapable of actually turning a switch on.

I have to think about it and I have some time because I believe I am not eligible until 9/30/09.

13. aneftp macrumors 68040

Exactly. That's what I just did last night. I am supposely guaranteed 2 new iPhone 3G S 16GB (one for me and one for my wife).

I just sold my 16GB iPhone 3G for $420. I can probably sell my wife's 16GB as soon as she gets her new iPhone 3G S (my wife can't live without her iphone...I have a G1 and a BB Bold as my "backup" phones).

Essentially I am breaking even with selling the older iPhone 3g and upgrading to new iPhone 3G S.

I have to pay $399 for "early upgrade" But I just figure, I am getting a new phone with new 1 year warranty and it's really not costing me any money. Sure I would have like to get the full subsidized price but it's not big deal. I'm out very little cash with the trade in. I don't plan on leaving ATT anytime soon so renewing my contract another 2 years is not bothering me.

14. iKieran macrumors newbie

I am still not sure whether to upgrade or not, only things that make me want to get one is the new 3.2mp camera with autofocus and video recording and voice control. I don't think the iPhone 3g is that slow in performance really

I am hoping they will release voice control on a later version of 3.0 software for 3g

15. Goona macrumors 68020

Goona

People were saying the same thing over the first iphone and the 3g but yet people gobbled up the 3g.

16. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

I think people need to realize that with the iPhone apple doesn't expect you to upgrade every single year. Just to play nice with the carriers they'll provide minor updates every year and maybe "big" updates every 2 years (aka: the length of a contract everywhere except canada). So this year there isn't a lot to entice people to upgrade and renew their contracts, but maybe next year?

I mean do you really need a new phone every year? Or should the life of your iPhone last at least 2 years?

Just my 2cents on the matter.

17. vivithemage macrumors 6502a

vivithemage

Isn't the 3GS much much quicker , and better battery life?

18. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Absolutely! - Unless of course you are a "technoposer" who has to show off his latest bit if kit and "keep up with the latest technology" or a school kid, who, as the result of peer pressure, has to maintain his stature with his mates. ;) :D

19. coma macrumors newbie

are you still able to buy an iphone off the shelf without a contract in the usa? i did that with the iphone 2g as i live outside the usa.

20. Razeus macrumors 601

coming from an 8GB Gen 1:

Video camera and recording
    3MP camera with auto focus, auto exposure, auto white balance, macro-mode
    Larger capacity
    Compass
    GPS
    Faster CPU
    More RAM
    Voice Control
    7.2Mbps 3G speeds
    improved battery life
    new screen to reduce oil and finger prints

21. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I'm in for the faster processor, more ram, more storage, better battery life, and better camera.

22. darngooddesign macrumors G3

And what if you want the things that the new device offers and you can afford it?

23. UbuntuFu macrumors regular

I still have the original 8gb iPhone, which I bought in Oct 07.

The screen is starting to develop a white blob in the upper right corner. I like the design of this phone better, so I was disappointed that they kept the 3g design.

I'm not a fan of the $15 increase a month though, but I just pre ordered a 32gb.

24. Gamst macrumors regular

Gamst

Razeus, I stole your list to make some points, hope you don't mind? :)

Video camera and recording - If the quality is like that shown on the keynote, it'll be great. Especially being able to upload it to youtube, mobileme etc in a push of a button.

3MP camera with auto focus, auto exposure, auto white balance, macro-mode - Better pictures obviously. Auto focus will enable apps such as ShopSavvy to work (which is a great little app if you've never tried it on a G1) Macro mode will be usefull.

Larger capacity - Obvious again, the more space the better! No need to trim your collection as much for your iPhone.

Compass - Should improve maps a LOT. Also since it knows the direction you are pointing, could open up all sorts of possibilities for apps! Imagine a city guide, that can tell you what you are looking at and tell you more details/information!

Faster CPU - will speed up the general use of the device and maybe enable more CPU intensive games to run. Though by having 3GS only apps, they may alienate 3G/1st Users.

More RAM - As above. Very useful if you plan to jailbreak(should it be possible!) and want to use backgrounder.

Voice Control - Sounds more of a gimmick to me, will impress your mates/family :)

7.2Mbps 3G speeds - Excellent it available, don't hold your breath if you are on o2 and not in London though!

improved battery life - Big plus in my opinion! My 3G rarely makes it through a day of heavy use.

new screen to reduce oil and finger prints - less fingerprints?! Sounds very good to me! Where's my cloth for wiping my 3G again!?

25. stevepeck macrumors member

Wow as it a compass? really...well lm throwing my 3G in the bin and going to pre order a 3GS.
    How do people manage to live without a compass on there mobile phone beats me.