Why buy a cinema display over other displays?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by macdoobie, Apr 7, 2008.

1. macdoobie macrumors member

What is so special about the cinema displays? All I see is superior looks and a much higher price tag. I'm looking at the 23'' in particular, I like it a lot, but I notice the refresh rates are AWFUL compared to any other 22''-24'' LCD on newegg....and those are a lot cheaper. Tell me all the special things about cinema displays...so it will be easier to drop so much cash:eek::eek:

2. nutmac macrumors 68040

Most of these cheaper 22-24" LCD monitors on newegg, etc. are based on inferior TN LCD panels. Although TN panels have faster refresh rate and cost significantly less, they use dithering to simulate 16 million colors (result in less photographic look and feel, with noticeable banding in many situations) and generally have more limited viewing angle.

3. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

Not to mention there are different ways of specifying refresh rates, so the comparison there may not be valid. The cheap TN panels tend to use the most liberal method to attract the gamer market. Those panels are good enough for gaming, but you probably want to avoid them for any kind of work that needs accurate and consistent color display (photography, etc). The ACDs use S-IPS panels which are much higher quality.

I have a Samsung 245B at work and it really sucks compared to the 23" ACD I have at home. Whenever I sit down at the Samsung I have to tinker with the angle to get the best looking output & it still looks inferior.