Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
Not the right question:

Hi,

I think the question to buy or not to buy depends on if you are a switcher or not. Because the real question is

Why buy any software now ???

As long as the software is not available in universal binaries it just makes no sense buying the software now. I know - for most apps that you don't need a G4 you could use Rosetta but what I read is that on the Intel systems the apps are about as fast as a 1GHz G4.

If you already have some apps - it makes much sense to get one of the last PPC Macs. If not - you better wait until the universal binaries are shipping. Because buying software makes no sense right now.

gabriel_uk

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2005
England
Buy now, or right after the next PPC upgrade?

atszyman said:
Actually quite the contrary. Especially for office upgrades. The best time to buy is right now, or right after the next PPC upgrade..

I first thought I'd have to wait until the first PowerMacintels appeared, but I've since been swayed by those who've said there's no real reason not to buy now - or at least soon.

Bearing in mind that the last PowerMac upgrades were so criticized, I'm wondering whether to wait until the next PPC upgrade (sometime between Sept and next Spring?) - or buy a 2.3 GHz PM now.

Would it make sense to wait if I can? :cool:

sigamy

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2003
NJ USA
ttutsch said:
Why wouldn't Apple have either cut the prices on PowerPC (instantly outdated) hardware or introduced some Intel-based devices immediately? This "transition" seems like it has included little or no consideration of current and potential customers. Why not?

In short, why make the "switch" and buy a new mac now?

It sounds like you don't currently own a Mac, but you'd like to. What exactly do you want to do with the machine? If you just want to play with Tiger, surf, email and run iLife then you should pick up a used or refurbished iBook or PowerBook. This way you can save some cash to get you till the next major revision (x86).

Apple had G4 800mhz iBooks for $649 a few weeks back, but these are very rare. If you jsut want to surf the web you can even go with a G3 iBook but these had logic board issues so beware. If you are looking to run Pro apps then you need a G4 and good video card. That means PowerBook.

If you *need* the machine now, get it now. As everyone has said, it will work for years and years and it will treat you well.

macorama

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2005
CmdrLaForge said:
Hi,
Because buying software makes no sense right now.

Before long we should see software companies stating their policy on this. I suspect a lot of them will be promising a free upgrade to the x86 version of whatever version you have. Some will try and get you to upgrade for $$$, but they'll definitely lose sales before then. If Adobe for example takes a lead on this the others will follow. If not, then you will be right!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.