Why Buy a Macbook Air When You Can Get a Macbook Pro For LESS #$$$?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by VideoNewbie, Jun 11, 2012.

1. VideoNewbie macrumors 6502

i noticed the 13 inch mb air is more expensive than the 13mbpro what justifies this? the specs on the mbpro are better

is the air more expensive and wanted by all of you simply because it is about 0.3 inches thinner and a lb. lighter????

im not being facetious i genuinely want to know what the advantages of a 13inch air are over a 13 inch mbpro i am reviewing the specs and it seems like the 13pro is the obvious winner here? better specs and less $?

2. Spoonz macrumors member

SSD + half the weight does it for me, believe it or not.

3. VideoNewbie thread starter macrumors 6502

"SSD" ? i can google but im lazy i want u to tell me

4. AlanShutko macrumors 6502a

If you spec out the 13" MBP with the same amount of memory and SSD, it comes out pretty close to the MBA. At that point, you're paying to have a smaller, lighter device. For me, the size is more important to me than the slight bump in CPU or the additional ports and optical drive.

5. 31rhcp macrumors member

SSD + way sexier

But Apple always charges a lot (but usually not more) for the small model. Anyone remember when the original iPod mini came out?

6. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

Solid state drive, not a classic spinning hard drive.

7. Anlino macrumors member

8. kodeman53 macrumors 65816

I'm too lazy to tell you what SSD means.

9. Spoonz macrumors member

Solid State Drive. Much faster than a harddrive but doesn't have any moving parts... probably going to make the HDD redundant in not too long for most. Someone also mentioned the resolution which is also a massive point - 1280x800 on the MBP 13"? No thanks.

10. VideoNewbie thread starter macrumors 6502

where do you see the resolution info and ssd info?
    http://store.apple.com/us-hed/browse/home/shop_mac/family/macbook_air/select

the resolution issue might sway me....anyone know the resolution for the 11 inch? and also the mbpro 13 inch doesnt have SSD?

edit- i found the resolution info for the mbpro 13 inch vs the mb air on the "compare macs" screen:

and they appear to be the same!? where do u guys see that the mbp 13 inch is only 1280x800???

http://store.apple.com/us-hed/compare/mac?page=macbook-air

MBPRO13 INCH
    "Dual display and video mirroring: Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 2560 by 1600 pixels on an external display, both at millions of colors "

MBAIR:

Dual display and video mirroring: Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 2560 by 1600 pixels on an external display, both at millions of colors

11. Spoonz macrumors member

All Airs run on SSDs, HDDs aren't an option given to the customer on that line. The MBP can be customised to use an SSD if you get a BTO model. The 11" has a resolution of 1366x768, you should probably have a look here for any other specs.

12. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

13. Spoonz macrumors member

I'm not sure whether or not to answer more of your questions... someone who can't navigate Apple's site and look at specs correctly might not benefit much from OSX. I mean, even my mother can work out the resolution of a laptop on the internet without too much trouble.

14. henrikrox macrumors 65816

henrikrox

Macbook air: Faster in everyday work thanks to ssd. Thinner, lighter, better resolution. Sexy.

Mbp: Heavy, slower (5400rpm hdd), outdated resolution, clunky (compared to the air). But it does have a IR reciever. So i guess thats something

Ill take the air over the 13mbp any day

15. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

Air over MBP definitely!

Unless we're talking retina MBP ;)

But yeah, for the MBA - SSD standard, higher resolution... and now HD FaceTime and USB 3.0, plus thinner and lighter. It's definitely the future of notebooks.

16. phuocsandiego macrumors member

I concur. I wonder why anyone would answer a lazy numbnut like the OP.

17. Liquinn Suspended

You can always upgrade the Pro years down the line; which you cannot do with the Air.

18. Monkeyat macrumors regular

Portability! Try carrying a MBPRO every day in you backpack when you have to walk 30 min. to go to college... soon you'll be willing to have a 11" Air :cool:

19. Seamaster macrumors 65816

Seamaster

Air for portability.

Pro for desktop replacement.

YMMV.

20. chanyitian macrumors regular

Portability. The Macbook which is cheaper than the Macbook Air is the Macbook pro without retina display. It is heavy and personally, doesnt look as good as a macbook air. Moreover, the macbook pro uses hard drive and is more vulnerable to damage. Macbook Air is the way to go.

21. LaWally macrumors 6502a

As it states quite clearly in both these descriptions, the 2560x1600 resolution is for an external display.

Others have already posted the MBA/MBP resolution differences of the built in displays.

22. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

you know how to post on a forum but you can't read the spec sheet?

23. asattwanger macrumors newbie

Yeah, you would have to upgrade the drive in the MBP to compare this Apple to Apple. The MBP would be $1399 verse MBA $1199 to get it closer to what the idea of the post is.

24. KohPhiPhi macrumors 6502a

As far as I'm concerned, the very moment Apple announced the 2012 MBP 13" to run under 1280x800 resolution, that was a definitive deal breaker for me right there. Even if it was just because of the resolution, I'd still go for the MBA over the MBP.

25. tejagamer macrumors member

tejagamer

It was a no brainer for apple to up the resolution. Heck. When 4-5" phones have 1280x720 or more res, we are looking at a laptop at that res. A 1680x1050 for 13" and 1920x1080 for 15" wouldve been awesome..