Why buy a MacBook or MacBook Air over a MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by haravikk, Jul 12, 2011.

1. haravikk macrumors 65816

I've just been looking at Apple's current laptop line-up, and I seem to have missed when MacBooks hit an entry point of £867, because right now I'm kind of baffled as to why you'd ever want to buy one!

Kitting out a laptop with 4gb (which really is what you need these days in a new machine), and AppleCare, there only seems to be a difference of about £40-50 between the MacBook and MacBook Air (same price) and the MacBook Pro.

I know the MacBook Air is a lot lighter (less than half the weight of the others), which could be a deciding factor, but that price is for a smaller screen (11") than either the MacBook or MacBook Pro (both 13").

The Pro isn't much heavier than the standard MacBook.

So it seems that the choice these days is between the Pro and the Air, as the MacBook just gives less overall, some of which could be account from its not being as recently updated, but the entry price seems awfully high for a less capable overall machine.

I don't suppose anyone can comment on the current line-up? Assuming weight and thinness aren't a big deal, why choose something other than the pro for such a small difference in cost?

2. saberahul macrumors 68040

I didn't read your post, but based this response off your title. I'd say it really comes down to your usage. I do a lot of 3D modeling and photo editing. I also do a lot of programming while running AutoCAD or SolidWorks and I need the extra processing power. If you're just an avid user and need a computer to do basic tasks like internet, excel here and there, mail, etc., your best bet is the Air as it offers great portability (and is about to be updated soon). I cannot comment on the MacBook as i personally find it useless.

3. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

It comes down to usage and preferences, or a trade off between power and portability. There was a time when the MB offered the best value for what it contained - it was very popular among students and among those who didn't have much spare cash; then there are those for whom portability is an issue (I'm one), and other than that, the power and spec of the MBP make it an excellent computer for people who need that.

I used to have a MBP - and loved it - but have realised that the MBA suits my needs better.

4. Philflow macrumors 65816

Rumor has it that the Macbook will disappear.