Why buy a used Mac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Luis Ortega, Oct 20, 2007.

1. Luis Ortega macrumors 6502a

I'm new to Macs and recently bought a MBP which I love.
    I read a lot of comments in the forums about how people can sell their Macs for great prices and upgrade to the newest thing.
    I just wonder why anyone would want to buy a used Mac from another individual?
    By the time I would want to upgrade my MBP, it would be several updates older than what was selling then. Even if I was trying to sell a more recent model rather than an older one, it would still be out of date so why would anyone offer anything close to what I originally paid for it when they could get an up to date computer for just a bit more?
    Right now, I'm reading about how people with recently bought MBPs are thinking of selling them off to buy the next updates with Penryn chips or whatever. If they are asking near the purchase price for their used computer, who would be willing to pay top money for a machine that is going to be out of date? Why not spend a little more for a current model with warranty and a company behind it that must deal with any problems that arise?
    Then there is the issue of warranty and getting a lemon. Someone could be selling off a computer that had suffered various problems during its warranty period and had parts replaced with refurbished components and there would be no way to know what you are getting and no protection from a warranty or company policy if it went belly up after a while.
    Maybe there's something that I'm missing here, but the thought of buying used electronic equipment from some individual on ebay or wherever sounds like an invitation to disaster. And the claims that you can sell used Macs for high prices makes it even more worrying. I could see someone trying to sell off a used MBP that cost £1700 new for a few hundred pounds, but I would never consider paying anything more than that for used equipment from some individual with no warranty or recourse for support or refund if things went bad.

2. mavherzog macrumors 6502

No one in their right mind pays "near original purchase price" for old gen Mac's. However, they DO hold value quite well.

Not everyone has an unlimited budget for computer purchases. When you are squirreling away $50 here, $100 there month to month, a good deal on a previous gen Mac could mean the difference between having a Mac in your hands now and having to wait half a year or so.

3. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I agree. It really surprises me. The only reason I could think of is a older case design or perhaps a collector that wants to have the last PowerPC chip Macs. Maybe I'll sell my Macs every 6 months so I have the latest and greatest. I'll charge $50 bucks less than retail. :D

4. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

Well in my case I was looking for a fully functional mac but didn't want to pay 700 for a mac mini.

I picked up an iMac g3 for $30, bought 1 GB of RAM for $100 and new HD for $50.

Basically I have a great new computer for $180 and the lovely retro iMac design.

5. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

Those iMac G3's are a bargin in the Mac used computer market. I can't part with mine. They are easy to upgrade. I think the people that sell them so cheap have no clue how to upgrade them or how little money it cost to upgrade when you seem them sold with 64 MB of memory or 20 GB drive or less. They still work great with Tiger but not so much with iLife.
    They are great for the pure basics.

6. Luis Ortega thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, in your case it sounds like a great bargain.
    But when I hear some people say, sell your year old model on ebay, you'll get almost what you paid for it then go buy the latest model, I can't help but think that someone is either delusional about the price they hope to get or someone is crazy to pay such a high price for an older model.
    Your scenario was what I would consider fair for all involved.
    I have an attic full of older expensive PC software (audio and video editing and graphics apps) and PC parts from motherboards to hard drives and all sorts of video cards and video editing capture cards that I wish I could sell. I spent about 10 years building my own PCs and just storing the old components thinking that I could always set up a nice little work room someday with several earlier models that worked well for what they did at the time and still could. Things like the Matrox RT 2000 cards and the AV Master card and very nice Pentium 3 and 4 motherboards which still work and were the components of capable video editing workstations. But since I got my MBP and am using FCP Studio 2 and the CS3 video production bundle, I realize that I'm never going to do that- what I want now is a Mac Pro!
    I'm waiting for the new models to come out and then I'll get one.
    I just can't get into trying to sell things on ebay (I guess I'm just an old fart too behind the times).

7. samuraikiss macrumors regular

So true! I've been looking on Craigslist for a used iBook G3 or G4 because, as your typical broke college student, I don't have enough money to purchase a new MacBook.

Most people on Craigslist don't understand the value of their Macs, so it ends up being quite a steal. Now I just have to be patient and wait for someone to post an iBook...

8. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

I disagree, look at the number of people trying to sell powerbooks for 1000... most people overvalue their computers.

9. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

It's not "overvalued" if buyers pay out for it. :p

Example? I had a busted MB, true, only the LCD needed replacement (at least a $200 fixer-upper) but I still got $650 for it. I've seen others sell their in-tact MBs for $700 so yeah, I don't quite understand it, but I won't argue with Macs holding a decent resale value.

Now if only I could sell off my iMac G5 for a great price. ;)

10. gonyr macrumors 6502

True, most are overpriced, but there are deals to be found. Especially on craigslist, if you're patient and lucky enough to catch one when it's posted. A few months ago, I picked up an ibook g4 for $180, from a kid graduating from the local university.

11. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

There Are Lots Of Reasons To Buy Previously Owned Macs

1. Price. Testimonies below. I recently bought a loaded 2.66 Quad MP with a 23" ACDHD for $2,700. It was 2 months old and has 5GB of ram, a 150GB 10K Raptor, two 500GB HDs and the 250 it came with. That's list $4,693 + 8% sales tax $374.40 = $5,061 worth of gear for $2,727 delivered and it is like new - previously owned not used. Got everything it came with including a new retail copy of iLife '08 for that price. So why wouldn't I? It was an offer I couldn't refuse.
    2. Value. The Apple refurbished store sells the exact same thing as new for a significant discount with a new warranty and the latest system software and iLife '08.
    3. Bargains. Older models are almost free and still can do a lot.
    4. Utility. Why buy new when the old one does everything you will ever want to do?

On the flip side, my experience selling my old Macs has been very rewarding. I've almost always made a profit because I always find a way to buy low and sell high. As long as the price is a little below what new ones cost, it can be done. I was able to sell a Dual Processor 2.5GHz G5 PM for $2500 when the Quad G5 was already only $2700 refurbished. Most people are not paying attention to the current market prices. I just now sold a 2GHz Dual Core G5 PM for $275 more than I paid for it at Fry's last August at the close out.

Now I'm not selling crap that has problems. I am selling perfectly operational Macs with more RAM and HD space than the stock I got them with. That's only fair. But your notion that they're always a bad deal or that it's difficult to do the selling is just plain nonsense. It's easy to make a sale for the price you ask - or almost the price you ask if you just try.