Why buy an iPhone now?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cparisi, Aug 21, 2008.

1. cparisi macrumors newbie

Given all of the alleged issues with build quality and 3G reception, is there any good reason (if you don't NEED a new phone right now) to buy the iPhone 3G right now? Is it plausible that some of these issues will be quietly addressed via hardware changes rather than the supposed software fixes?

I'm eager to get the iPhone but am just wondering, from a risk/reward perspective, if it's smarter to wait a couple of months.

Thoughts?

2. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

A hardware update, besides a storage bump, is highly unlikely before next summer, and 100% guaranteed not to happen in "a couple of months".

3. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

Don't buy it now if you don't need it. Wait until the software is updated to 2.1 and see how that helps with the 3G reception. Hopefully it will be out next month.

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

hardware update as in hardware fix as in a better 3g chipset is what i think he meant

5. cparisi thread starter macrumors newbie

I agree that we won't see a hardware update anytime soon. I was wondering about the likelihood that we'd see a hardware fix to the reception problems. Not trying to split hairs but a fix is certainly different than an upgrade.

6. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

The iPhone is ultimately a phone and unless you have a need for phone or some other iPhone's feature that your current phone cannot satisfy you in.... there's absolutely no need for you to purchase one!

7. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Ok, I guess anything's possible. Of course, a new 3G chip, even in 6 months, would mean a massive recall for existing phones.

8. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Considering Apple sold 1 million in just 11 countries in just 2 days..... You could say that!:D

9. cparisi thread starter macrumors newbie

The struggle I'm having is that if I knew that the problems would be successfully fixed through software updates and/or AT&T upgrading networks in the afflicted cities, I'd have no problem buying now and just dealing with the issues until they get sorted out. My fear is that this is an inherently flawed product, which quite frankly, would surprise me.

10. fteter macrumors member

Like most technology purchases, there is always a good reason to wait for the next release...and the next release is always "coming soon". Buy an iPhone because you either need or want the features it offers at the time of purchase. You've said you don't need it now, so it comes down to a matter of "want".

I bought my 2G in March, only several weeks before the 3G release. Still happy with the purchase and not sorry at all that I bought what I needed and wanted when I needed and wanted it. The features that were important to me in March are still important to me. The stuff in the 3G phone, for me, is more of a "nice to have" than a "need to have" or even a "want to have" - I'm good with my "trailing edge technology" iPhone.

So far as the current hardware and software issues go, I doubt the iPhone is an inherently flawed product. The Apple folks have too strong of a successful track record with product design to draw such a conclusion within a few weeks of a product release. Apple is just as concerned about any iPhone problems than the impacted iPhone users are. Failure to address these issues will impact Apple's credibility and hurt future sales. Let's also keep in mind that unhappy users are typically more vocal than happy users, simply because they have more energy on the matter (and who can blame them after spending a grip of money on a product that is not working as they expected). As with any updated product, we tend to hear from the folks with issues while the folks who are happy simply think the product works well, slip it into their pockets, and go on with their lives...unsolicited declarations of love for a well-working consumer product are few and far between. So we should probably keep our perspectives regarding the frequency of iPhone issues.

Good luck with your own buying decision!

11. Fuchal macrumors 68020

The 2.0.2 update greatly improves my 3G reception. I get it all through my work building now where as before I only got it outside and then it would revert back to EDGE.

12. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

I really doubt that there is one! Everyone in the Apple World are now quite content in stating that the fix will come as a firmware upgrade!

Besides... you really shouldnt be worried about this! Apple is always slow... but effectively true and accurate in the end! Even if your iPhone gets 4 years old and they discover that the chips were faulty... they'll replace it for you free of cost! The 1st gen iPod Nanos are examples!

13. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

I think in Sept we'll see more color options that's about it. I still have my first gen for now. Maybe they'll improve the build when they do the color switches.

14. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I have an iphone 3G and I really like it. However, I would advise you to wait and see if the next firmware update fixes the reception and other issues first. I pay for 3G service but don't get a chance to actually use it 50% of the time.

If the next update *doesn't* fix the problem then I would certainly wait until the next hardware revision--probably around the holidays or macworld.

It's entirely possible for Apple to quietly replace the current infineon chip in the iphone without upgrading anything else in it--and without conducting an official recall very soon. However, I'm hoping it can be fixed with a software update.

15. ipedro macrumors 68040

ipedro

2.0.2 Improved my 3G Reception

I'd like to chime in with my experience: 2.0.2 Improved my 3G Reception. I used to get 3 bars at home and never more than 4 in most other places in downtown Toronto. Now, I consistently get 5 bars at home and never less than 4 anywhere else.

I would love a 32GB iPhone, but I waited enough for the iPhone to arrive in Canada so I nabbed the 16GB the second it was released here.

By revision 3, we'll probably see a 32GB and 64GB iPhone. Nothing new hardwarewise for quite some time I strongly suspect.

16. cparisi thread starter macrumors newbie

This is likely what I'll do. But that said, the Infineon chip that Apple used is not a new chip, is that correct? I am under the impression that the same chip has been used in other 3G devices without issue. IF that is the case, it would seem that Apple should be able to get this resolved via software. I understand the significance of a recall of this magnitude, however, Steve realizes that a recall now would be his cheapest course of action if there were truly a hardware issue.

17. kane4fire macrumors member

You wont see a hardware fix. If apple does that, they are admitting guilt and the number of lawsuits to follow will undoubtedly cause a dramatic loss for them financially. They would have to do a recall in order to save them money since I am sure the settlements from the suits would be more than the cost of doing a recall.

Also if it is a complete hardware issue, there's no software in the world that will help. You can wait for iPhone 2.9 and it wouldn't do you any good.

18. cparisi thread starter macrumors newbie

Agree with most of what you wrote, except the part about "admitting guilt" and the lawsuits. Issuing a hardware recall isn't an admission of guilt and in the absence of willful negligence or physical harm, there aren't any viable lawsuits. If a product recall were an admission of guilt, then auto and toy companies, amongst others, would be getting sued left and right. Sometimes products are designed incorrectly, though without knowledge or intent, and if the company issues a recall upon discovery, there is no class action case. However, if a company doesn't issue a recall when one was warranted, you've got a case.

19. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

Not discounting the problems that some people have had, but don't forget that the vast majority of iPhones are problem-free. Like someone said, people are always more likely to complain than to chime in with an "everything's fine!"

I have no physical defects and no connectivity issues, and neither do any of my 3G owning friends. The worst I had was an occassional long backup and screen jump when posting to forums.

I'm glad I didn't wait.

20. snook911 macrumors 6502a

I would try and find some people in your city who owns the iPhone 3G and find out what thier experiance is. I can tell you here in Vegas the 3G iPhone works really good. I get 3 to four bars in most places and the 3G only seems to be getting stonger. My safari crashes back to the home screen once in a while but nothing to get in a snit about. Over all the iPhone in Vegas I give it a B+. ( I would give it an A but those safari crashes do get annoying somethimes.:D)

21. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

There are some bottom lines that need to be kept in perspective here:

1. Forums are megaphones for the disenfranchised. People who complain use these forums to complain loudly. So you will ALWAYS see a preponderance of "complaints" in forums like this. It never fails.

2. Let's face it: Apple users are more fickle than any other userbase out there. If you go into any subforum here, you'd think Apple made the worst death trap products ever created. Yet they score tops in customer satisfaction and Apple can't seem to make them faster than they fly out of the stores. If iPhones and Apple products are crap, then the public sure can't get enough crap in their lives, can they?

This isn't to say that those complaining aren't valid in their complaints. But there are people quite happy, it's just not in people's nature to vocally express NOT having problems. And anyway, this place would be awfully silly if all it had were a bunch of "Geee, I love my iPhone, everything is great!" threads.

3. Shopping by forum is the worst way to shop. If you want an iPhone but are worried that the experience won't be good, then do what has been recommended for every phone, on just about every carrier: go get one and try it out for yourself. You have 30 days to try both phone and service on for size. Let your experience be your guide. If you have issues with coverage or don't like the phone for any other reason, return it and be done with it.

For the record: I've been happy with my iPhone since having the first gen, I've been happy with my 3G since July 11, and I'm happy today.

One last thing: don't fall into the exchange trap. A lot of people here get into this obsession about exchanging an iPhone 4 or 5 times. If in the off chance you end up with a defective phone, exchange it once. The second exchange should be fine. If it isn't, the seriously consider just getting a refund. Likely the store has a bad batch, and 4, 5, 6 exchanges won't make you any happier. Though if you want to try again in a couple months, go ahead.

22. ki2594 macrumors 6502a

*sighs*

not everyone has had these issues. I have had NO 3G issues nor have i had any build quality issue. Some people are getting those symtoms, and those are the ones reporting them to forums looking for answers. Thats why you are seeing threads with 3G issues and such, its because they are looking for answers.