Why buy an unlocked phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by danadel, Sep 30, 2014.

1. danadel macrumors newbie

I previously had an unlocked 4S, which I bought full price and was using AT&T's $60 a month prepaid plan.

I knew I wanted a iPhone 6, and bought it unlocked because it was what I had done previously, and I wasn't sure which would be best.

So, I paid $850 for the 64GB, and am paying $60 a month for phone, text and data.

I saw on Verizon's website today that you can get a phone for $199 and then pay $60 for a single plan and get unlimited talk, text and 2 GB data (I think AT&T's plan might be 2.5 GB)

Basically, I'm thinking I made the wrong decision, and am wondering:

Why do people buy unlocked phones?

If you travel a lot, I understand, but if you don't travel, have good credit and basically bought it to have a cheaper monthly cell phone bill, is it really worth it?

2. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

Freedom of choice?

Not many people like to be locked down to a single network of towers if they can avoid it.

3. travis64 macrumors 6502a

travis64

to save money
    $30 a month t-mobile
    $45 a month straight talk

4. jboggs85 macrumors newbie

Higher resale when your done with the device. Available to be used on many more carriers.

5. danadel thread starter macrumors newbie

Maybe I should switch plans then...

Thanks...

6. Dreday24 macrumors regular

its easier, also not giving carriers more money

7. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

$35/mo Aio/Cricket
    $45/mo TMo
    $45/mo StraightTalk

You just picked the most expensive carrier.

Also, freedom when traveling to pickup a SIM. I have a little travel kit SIMs I regularly use.

8. danadel thread starter macrumors newbie

ha, yes, it seems that way, dammit! :)

9. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

Just so OP knows, you technically need an unlocked phone to get those ^ cheaper plans. The 'MVNOs' listed above use the AT&T network so the AT&T iPhone works with those even if it's locked to AT&T.

Also H2O, Airvoice Wireless, and many others...

10. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

some carriers are goofs, in Canada I am with Rogers my plan is really good because I have been with them 15 years and I have prices that don't exist anymore

my voice plan is like $18 a month, $18 add-on pack(voicemail, call display, unlimited text) and 6GB of Data for $30

they said my plan was too old for the new 2 year contract
    to get that similar plan with 6GB of data was going to cost me $95 thats almost $29 more a month plus I would of had to pay $150 early upgrade fee so it made no sense for me not to buy the phone unlocked

11. Kariya macrumors 68000

Kariya

I like the flexibility of touching down in a foreign land and putting in a local SIM into phone without it telling me to get lost and find an unlock code.

I like the ability to choose my own best-value tariff/plan without being ripped off under the pretence of a carrier 'subsidising' the cost of my phone.

I like being able to get out of contracts without needing to wait for 2 years or pay a bailout fee as if i were serving a jail sentence.

Lastly i like being able to play with any new phone that comes out without thinking 'must wait till i finishing serving my time in carrier jail'