Why Buy Apple.... Are we crazy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jalbuke, May 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jalbuke macrumors newbie

Jalbuke

So many problems with Apple products!
    Why are we buying crapy hardware? For the brand name? Do we have a taste for suffering?

Strange world, strange people we are!

2. nick9191 macrumors 68040

I think you'll find every other OEM has an equal rate of defective units, it's just since Apple is the only company in the world with such a huge loyal group of followers, its much more apparent when they mess up.

3. RSC10 macrumors member

RSC10

Because it's vastly superior in almost every way. I don't know about you....but the HP Pavillion I bought that broke down 4 times (got my money back) pushed me right to the edge. For me, there's no other choice....

4. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Yeah, better stop buying Apple computers because there were a few faulty power adapters. Because we demand 100% perfection all the time... </sarcasm>
    Damnit, I can't believe I fell for this troll...

5. Neutral Gamer macrumors 6502a

Neutral Gamer

It's not just Apple my friend. If you look at other hardware manufacturers, whether it be for computers or TV's or games consoles (Xbox 360 anyone?), there's always the chance that you'll end up with a duff model or that there's an underlying, fundamental design fault.

Lot's of companies have had to admit mistakes in the past and replace users' products accordingly. That's the way it is with hardware, whether it's from Apple or another company. It's worth noting that you take more of a risk when you buy a newly introduced or redesigned product rather than waiting for a revision or two to iron out any potential problems.

6. nick9191 macrumors 68040

And call it luck or whatever, but I know people who have bought 20 macs over the years and every one has worked fine, and many of them still are.

My college has about 50 macs or so, every one perfect, everyone working, none DOA.

7. cloudnine macrumors 6502a

cloudnine

None of your posts so far have said anything positive about Apple or their products. Why are you on this board? Trolling much?

I buy Apple products because they're superior to Dell, Acer, Toshiba, etc... and they're capable of running the best operating system on the planet. I've had two iMac G4's, two PowerBook G4's, a MacBook Pro Core Duo and my latest machine is a 24" iMac C2D. None of them have given me any problems, except for the one PowerBook that has been an absolute road warrior with me... its SuperDrive burned out which was covered by AppleCare.

My older Dell laptops and desktops, however, have given me nothing but grief... and Dell's customer service is horrendous. I wouldn't use a Dell if it was given to me for free.

Oh, and the only reason that Apple's faults are so public is because they're such a great company. They're in the spotlight so much because they just keep getting better and better... so when something goes wrong, everybody knows about it. Something goes wrong with a Dell product and its just expected because they're crap.

Just my opinion, of course :)

8. Virgil-TB2 macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

Actually I think you'll find that Apple has a much *lower* rate of defective units than average.

The OP is just ranting without any knowledge of the subject at all IMO.

9. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

10. asmallchild macrumors regular

ipod mini -> flawless until I played around with it last month with a screwdriver

ipod video -> flawless, still running

ipod touch -> flawless, in my pocket

MBP -> flawless, best laptop I've owned yet

You were saying?

11. Neutral Gamer macrumors 6502a

Neutral Gamer

Quoted For Truth

cloudnine, you make a very good point. Having just read his previous posts I feel the need to comment on some of his musings:

So you admit you're one of us, an Apple fan? Yet you keep buying Apple products despite the fact that you think that most of them are crap:

And clearly you believe no other luxury goods manufacturers have any problems:

We bought a new Mercedes a few years ago and we've had various problems with it, from brake lights not working to the stereo not turning on. No product is perfect whatever view you may have formed in your head or however lucky you may have been with certain brands and unlucky with others.

And finally:

As has been said countless times by rational and calm individuals on these threads: people are more likely to create threads about problems they're having than machines that are working perfectly well. You're on a Mac site for godsake, go to a PC hardware forum and you'd end up with the same, false, impression of high hardware deficiencies.

Phew. :apple:

12. aquajet macrumors 68020

Get it through your head that MR.com is not a representative sample. People see three reports of a similar problem in a thread and suddenly the problem is "common". :rolleyes:

13. skorpien macrumors 68020

Well said Neutral Gamer.

And Jalbuke... have you considered politics? You'd go far. And if you're so dissatisfied with Apple, stop buying Apple. Plain and simple. And please stop trolling.

14. Jalbuke thread starter macrumors newbie

Jalbuke

To as many as 2.3 million PowerBook and iBook owners who purchased faulty power adapters.:confused:

15. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

don't feed the trolls.

this thread really has no purpose here.

16. cloudnine macrumors 6502a

cloudnine

That was almost a very good display of biding your time and waiting for the appropriate time to throw back a good argument, but what he was trying to say is that yes, there are few occasions where there is a "major problem" such as faulty power adaptors or bad batches of batteries that are recalled... but MacRumors is not the best place to go in order to get a good sense of how reliable Apple computers are, simply because most people that post on here (at least those that post about hardware) are posting because they have a random problem. The majority of people do not post when something is going right.

17. 11800506 macrumors 65816

Of course, because no other electronics manufacturers have problems </sarcasm> Remember the massive recall of Sony batteries? Also, not all 2.3 million people are having problems with their adapters, it's just that their adapters might be faulty. That certainly doesn't guarantee it.

18. kockgunner macrumors 68000

kockgunner

there was a recent article on cnet (http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9938550-1.html) that said all laptop manufacturers have the same chances of breaking down since laptops use the same parts and only the shell differs. with that in mind, i would go for the company with the best service.

19. dopey220 macrumors 6502

dopey220

I don't care about the hardware. I just prefer OS X to any other OS I've used.

20. wesrk macrumors 6502a

this happens all the time and in every industry, auto companies recall cars for faulty airbags, breaks not working properly; child seat manufacturers get sued because their product failed, etc., far more serious stuff than a faulty power adapter.

these problems happen and they are usually fixed... I know a lot of people that wished their biggest computer-related problem was a power adapter when they have lost semesters and years of work because their os had a problem.. you know which one I'm talking about... where's the recall for that one?

21. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

↑Strange, very strange...

Guess some people have too much time on their hands...

Bottom line though, at least people who've purchased doggie goods did get compensation, even if it's only a refund.

Funny how Windows used to crash more than often and MicroSoft didn't ever admit there was a fault or a problem. Just think how many users should of had refunds for their insecure OS...

22. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

My family owns an iMac, MBP, 2 iPhones, 5th Gen iPod, and a iPod mini. None of them have had any problems. I love them all.

23. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    All companies walk a fine line between quality and price. I think Apple does a good job. It would be easy to hate Apple if you had never dealt with any other computer company. Whenever I think Apple is giving me a raw deal, I remember my tech support calls to Microsoft...

24. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

Your post puts things in perspective succinctly and eloquently

25. Achiever macrumors 6502

Achiever

That does not mean there have been 2.3 million users having problems with their adapters, simply 2.3 million people who have bought an adapter which Apple is (tacitly) acknowledging may have caused users problems and been faulty. Most of these users have probably never had a single issue with their adapters, however it is cheaper for Apple (and better customer service) to give them a few bucks instead of paying it to the lawyers to defend the action.

There is a truism in most legal cases that is especially in anti-trust cases: nobody wins except for the lawyers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.