Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 4, 2011
I see all these posts where people say they will never lock themselves into a contract. But if the price of the subsidy is already built into the monthly plan, why not sign the two year contract and get the iPhone 6 cheaper? I understand you don't want to lock in, but most people I know have been with ATT or Verizon for 5 years so it isn't like you are locking yourself into a miserable service, for the most part ATT and Verizon are the best (after all they do have the biggest number of subscribers and coverage).

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Some people don't want to lose their unlimited data. Others do not want to be locked into a 2 year contract

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
But if the price of the subsidy is already built into the monthly plan, why not sign the two year contract and get the iPhone 6 cheaper?
It isn't always cheaper. My family's on the AT&T 10GB plan, and two-year contracts cost about $150 more (total) than the cost of NEXT over two year.

Also, two-year contracts require paying more money up-front: $199+ (per phone)
With NEXT, the only money up-front is the sales tax: ~$40 (per phone, in my state)

Not to mention, folks on two-year contracts that want to upgrade yearly are looking at paying $649+ up-front for the mid-contract upgrade.

Not doing 2-year contracts is cheaper for me, and involves a whole lot less money immediately out of pocket when folks do upgrades.

Last edited:

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
The not wanting a contract thing is mostly emotional vs. logical, in the past anyways. I hated contracts for a bit, then realized I was not going to switch anyways.

BUT, that has all changed.

Up until recently, my plan was the same cost if a 5 year old phone vs a new phone. We were paying about $240 a month, plus ipad charges.

The new plan has varied pricing for the service and phone. All our phones are at the $15 price point. Total plan with 10gb shared data is now $160 and we can tether. We lost our unlimited plan, but did not need it. Shared is better and we can use it on ipads too.

BUT, if I got a new phone on contract, the monthly cost goes up for that phone. We could be back to the old price in a hurry.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I see all these posts where people say they will never lock themselves into a contract. But if the price of the subsidy is already built into the monthly plan, why not sign the two year contract and get the iPhone 6 cheaper? I understand you don't want to lock in, but most people I know have been with ATT or Verizon for 5 years so it isn't like you are locking yourself into a miserable service, for the most part ATT and Verizon are the best (after all they do have the biggest number of subscribers and coverage).
Because it's not anymore. Both AT&T and Verizon offer service discounts up to $25/mo per line for BYOD or NEXT/EDGE.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
With many of the current plans the there is a discount for non-contract/subsidized phones, so the built-in price of the subsidy gets discounted. That's where it no longer becomes a simple contract vs. no-contract decision, but actual monetary differences can often be involved making one or another option better in some way just from the pricing perspective.

----------

Because it's not anymore. Both AT&T and Verizon offer service discounts up to $25/mo per line for BYOD or NEXT/EDGE.
Yup, basically that, which is somewhat new.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.