Why buy the AppleCare Protection Plan the first year?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by livingonvideo13, Jun 29, 2009.

1. livingonvideo13 macrumors regular

livingonvideo13

I don't really understand why people buy the AppleCare Protection Plan when they first buy their iphone since you can buy it right before your 1 year warranty runs out.

The AppleCare Protection Plan does not cover things like damage, being stolen, or if you loose it. So if one of these things happens to you, then you just wasted $69 buying an extended warranty that has not taken place yet.

The only upside is you get 1 year of tech support but most people here know what they are doing and would never need it.

If you don't need the tech support, it seems best to just buy it right when your normal 1 year warranty is about to expire.

Am I missing something here?

2. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

3. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

If you have apple care you won't have to pay 35 dollars for advance replacement when you need a replacement phone. You will also get a better service through techs. All this from personal experience.

4. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

If you buy it up front, you also don't run the risk of forgetting to buy it before your year is up. This happened to someone in the MacBook forums.

5. lavinci macrumors 6502

They usually send you an email reminding you to buy applecare if you gave them an email when you purchased it at Apple. Usually, it's best to wait 10 months and then assess if you really need the extended warranty based on whether or not you will be upgrading to the next gen.

6. daonesteven macrumors 6502

various reasons, i sold mainly apple products at my campus technology store and one of the biggest selling points of applecare for us was (some proven high statistic that the apple rep told us) of people would forget to buy their applecares because stuff happens in their lives and they're just not gonna sit there waiting for that one exact day which they have to purchase it by, because apple is pretty strict on their applecare purchasing policies.

that and we gave a free hp printer along with every computer + applecare purchase :)

7. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Why buy AppleCare at all, given that so many of you upgrade yearly and you get the same coverage if purchased with a personal (non-business) AmEx card?

8. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

9. Shabbis macrumors regular

I didn't get applecare on my 2G iPhone, the speaker went out a couple months after my standard warranty was up. I was without a speaker for many months waiting for the 3GS to come out. I didn't want to upgrade to the 3G since I knew the 3GS was coming. Had I purchased the applecare, I would have gotten a brand new phone.

I recommend applecare for iPhones, iPods, MacBooks and MacBook Pros, basically anything that is portable which is more likely to run into issues.

10. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

The best "Apple Care" that I know of is just buying a new iPhone on an annual basis.

11. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

That is why I always wait to purchase it. When I buy a new Apple product, I put a to-do on my iCal a little short of a year from the date I purchased and set it to remind me to buy it. I don't forget anymore.

12. Versus macrumors member

I was able to get it for $32. If that was offered to me, I wouldn't have bothered.