Why buy the MBA external Drive?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by sosnow, Feb 20, 2008.

1. sosnow macrumors member

With the limitations of only being able to use the MBA drive with the machine USB port, why not just get an external burner that can be used through a hub?

If anyone is using an non-apple external DVD burner, I would appreciate your opinions.

Thanks

2. TheMadBrewer macrumors regular

I got the external superdrive because I didn't want to lug along another power pack when I need to travel with the drive.

I do wish apple had put a passthru usb port on the superdrive -- would make life simpler.

3. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

4. sosnow thread starter macrumors member

Yes, But can't you do that with any external USB DVD drive?

I understand the various uses of an external DVD, I just am trying to figure out why my external drive should be the air drive.

5. dahcheet macrumors regular

dahcheet

I think the big selling point for the MBA SuperDrive is the same as the MBA. It's sleek and small. Almost as thin as the MBA itself and custom made for the MBA.

6. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    I bought the MBA Superdrive for the fact that it is meant to accompany the MBA and looks good, for the functionality of being able to immediately install software from a DVD or to watch movies on it (haven't done the latter yet). I agree that it would've been nice if Apple could have provided a passthrough connector on there somehow.....

7. russtic macrumors member

haven't bought an external drive at all. IF/when I do I will buy the apple one. Three reasons:
    1) it is only slightly more expensive than other options but considerably more compact - also I have had problems with external dvd drives in the past
    2) no need for an external powerpack - a HUGE bonus as it makes the drive genuinely portable.

8. dahcheet macrumors regular

dahcheet

3) ??

9. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

There are three types of people in this world, people who can count, and people who can't.:rolleyes:

10. dibara2003 macrumors 6502

i'm getting one, albeit a non apple one) just to install programs. the remote disk is too slow

11. PDE macrumors 68020

I've been looking around for alternatives and there really are not that many that are purely bus powered, and those that are are usually more expensive than Apple's, larger, heavier and don't look as nice. The only disadvantage of the Apple unit is that it can't be used in a hub, but when I started thinking about how I'll use it in practice (not very often for movies and sometimes for installations), I realized that I can live with that restriction even if I don't really like it. It's a nice drive and actually very affordable too. Should have been included in the box and I suspect that is coming in the future.