Why buy wireless keyboard for your MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by HuggyLowDown, May 31, 2010.

1. HuggyLowDown macrumors regular

HuggyLowDown

I surf this website a lot and almost everyday I read someone's reply on a thread saying something about buying a wireless keyboard with their MacBook Pro. What's the point of buying one when you have a keyboard right in front of you? This is really bothering me so please give me some good reasons to have a wireless keyboard for a MacBook Pro.

2. funwithamar macrumors regular

its use full if u use multiple displays, or when u use ur mbp on a desk for long hours :)

and the wireless keyboard pairs up with the ipad .... :p

3. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

Yes, when you are connected to an external display with a mouse and keyboard you can operate in clamshell mode...

4. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...I don't always want to have my laptop on my lap... the keyboard is light and doesn't get warm on the bottom of it...

5. diablo2112 macrumors 6502

+1

Particularly needed when I stream itunes downloads to my TV, with the MBP across the room connected via HDMI to my AV system. I use the wireless keyboard and mouse on my coffee table, works like a charm.

6. cheetahxt macrumors member

i use my mbp as my primary display but wanted to raise it to a more comfortable position. That's why I got an mstand and the keyboard (the photo was taken before I've got my MBP and thus still has my thinkpad from work on it).
    It's also very useful when you want to connect your mb to a tv / projector.

[​IMG]

7. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

Same here, was having to grab my wired USB KB from my PC 2 flights up, was a PITA so I got an Apple wireless KB. It's small and fits in my laptop bag, so if I need it elsewhere I can take it with me. Most wireless KB's would be too big for that.

8. gwsat macrumors 68000

gwsat

That's what I used my Bluetooth keyboard for. I used to use a DVI to HDMI cable to connect my MBP's video output to my home theater system's display. I also had a cable connecting my MBP's digital audio out connector to my AV receiver. That way, I would watch HULU and other videos from the Web on my HT system. I found that using a Bluetooth keyboard and Magic Mouse with the MBP's lid closed was the most convenient way to operate the setup. I have since given my Bluetooth keyboard to my daughter because she gets more use out of it with her iPad than I ever did with my MBP. I didn't get much good out of the Bluetooth keyboard with my iPad because about the only text input I do on the iPad is into dialog boxes. For that kind of thing the virtual keyboard is less inconvenient than having to use a separate keyboard was.

9. TRUCRACKER macrumors 6502

TRUCRACKER

If you're gonna have multiple displays, a Magic Mouse, and a keyboard, then you might as well buy an iMac instead of a MBP.

10. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

Because it gives you an excuse to buy an mStand.

11. John Kotches macrumors 6502

That isn't a particularly portable solution now, is it?

When I travel, I need my computer. The iMac isn't particularly travel friendly.

12. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

True, but carrying that iMac around airports when you travel can be tiresome...

13. TRUCRACKER macrumors 6502

TRUCRACKER

Ok, true. But how often do you travel? I would rather have a large screen for my desktop and go a few days without a computer then use a small screen for my desktop and have it everywhere.

14. John Kotches macrumors 6502

And with an external display I can have both. I travel 3-4 times a year, and I need to take my computer.

If you don't that's perfectly fine... for you.

15. gwsat macrumors 68000

gwsat

You are very different from me, then. I go into withdrawal if I am ever very far from my computer. My MBP is my primary home machine, as was its predecessor a Powerbook G4. The 17 inch displays on those machines have been more than adequate for my purposes, so it should come as no surprise that I always take the MBP with me when I go out of town.

16. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

As others have said, with my MBP 15" and my Samsung 23" Display I have the best of both worlds...I travel enough that I need a portable computer to take with me for work...

17. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Exactly. Computers and laptops have gotten so good these days unless you need a lot more computing power, there really is no reason to have a desktop save maybe price (even then you can find laptops cheap enough). If you are just an average user, I find the portability adds a whole ton more usefuless to the computer. I'm never buying a desktop again.

Connect my laptop to a monitor, keyboard, mouse, and speakers, it's just as good as a desktop. And I can take it with me and it has all my important info on it and my computer can be with me wherever I happen to go.

So, why would I pick an iMac over my laptop? Sure, I could be without my computer for a few days. Or I could not make that sacrifice and still have a great desktop for my needs as well ;).

18. ecks618 macrumors 6502

ecks618

+2, Love that i can leave the laptop closed off to the side of the desk, connect to my external monitor and use apple mouse & keyboard. And sometimes having a wireless keyboard just feels better, laptop keyboards can get annoying.

19. Ayria macrumors member

Ayria

Hmmm

Well i dont mind strapping my 27" iMac to my back with lashings of leather straps, it just gets jammed sometimes in the xray scan at airports and can cause up to 45 minute delays for other passages. ;)

20. RedReplicant macrumors 6502a

I take mine to work with me every day... infact here I am typing on it at work. ;)

21. TopHatPlus macrumors 6502

because i can hook up my laptop to my tv and close the lid, so i am using this turbo charged i7 processor as a tower, =D haha its pretty righteous

22. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

Some of are actually on the road, working, 50%+ every year.
    The wireless keyboard frees me from being tied to a fixed location when doing a workshop.
    That, plus a large external monitor at home, make a MBP a better option for me.

23. macbook037 macrumors newbie

I think the keyboard Wifi . It is convenient to use. Make it look good. :)

24. Doc750 macrumors 6502a

I'm hairy beast who sheds & likes to eat while working on the computer. It's easier to clean off the hairs, and crumbs from the BT keypad, and trackpad, then to try and clean in between the keys on the macbook pro. :D

25. DirtySocks85 macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

I'm a teacher and I hook my MacBook up to the projector while giving presentations and use a wireless keyboard and mouse from the podium to add in content from discussions on the fly.