Why call it that

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chrisparr, Jul 10, 2008.

1. chrisparr macrumors regular

I've been wondering this for a while.

Why have Apple called it iPhone 3G?

I know it's because that's exactly what it is, but 3G is run of the mill and actually slightly outdated.

Apple try to make themselves out to be best thing since sliced bread, but by putting 3G in the name, they are almost making a song and dance about how they are average and have only just caught up with the times.

Not too important really, I just thought they could come up with a better way to indicate the phone's version in its name.

2. Burton8219 macrumors 6502

Companies usually make the names of products based on how it sounds when someone says it. How good does "Updated iPhone with faster internet and GPS" sound?? Not too good. They wanted to make it simple, quick, sound good, and include the main new feature of the phone, 3G support.

3. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

Because all anyone could cry about last time was that it didn't have 3G. Now, you would have to be a moron not to know it has 3G.

4. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Actually, the original name to not confuse any of the morons is as follows:

iPhone 3G, but still compatible with EDGE, oh and we are now plastic with black and white colors but don't have MMS, cut and paste, video recording, or voice dial but we do have the App Store and you won't be able to use the WiFi Store over 3G because, well, duh, we call it the WiFi Store

5. interesting macrumors member

It's the major upgrade selling point.

Also I think that this time around was just a small tech concession to keep people buying. the 3rd time around will have something significant like haptic feedback or solar power touchscreen or fingernail clippers or something we havnt even thought of

6. chrisparr thread starter macrumors regular

LOL.

Not a bad name :)

7. chrisparr thread starter macrumors regular

My point exaclty.

It isn't really anything worth shouting about, but shouting is what they are doing.

At the end of the day I suppose you've got to take your hat off to Apple for getting everyone so hyped up when the only new things will be 3G and GPS (the rest are availabe to iPhone 1 customers).

I suppost that's why Steve J is rich and I'm not ;)

8. Nicolecat macrumors 6502a

Nicolecat

I realize that it stands for newly having the 3g network...but doesn't it also stand for being the 3rd generation iphone?

I suppose, I just misunderstood. :confused:

9. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Because "iPHone HSDPA with 3G, EDGE, and Wifi support" doesn't roll of the tongue? :rolleyes:

10. macintosh.apple macrumors 6502

no, its the 2nd gen iPhone

11. Nicolecat macrumors 6502a

Nicolecat

So...what was the whole 2nd (better) release for last time?

12. Nykwil macrumors 65816

Nykwil

Cuz if apple decided to call it the "iPhone kicks the llama's ass" then we'd have issues.

13. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

i agree with the OP....iPhone 3G sucks as a name. it's confusing as it litterally means 2 different things....not to mention, not everyone can USE 3G.

it should have just been named iPhone 2.0

14. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

Haha... They're not shouting... We are. There were no comercials until just a few days before. So many people don't even know about it. I've begun telling people that I'm getting the new iPhone and you wouldn't believe how many (non apple fanboys and technerds) tell me that they didn't even know there was a new one.

15. Nicolecat macrumors 6502a

Nicolecat

I knew I heard '3rd generation' somewhere... :rolleyes:

I just plugged it in how I wanted. :p
    So... I found this article on macworld.

What does the “3G” in the name mean?
    If you’re familiar with iPod naming conventions, the term 3G might make you believe that Apple is releasing its third generation of iPhone. No, you didn’t sleep through an iPhone product introduction—3G in this case stands for third-generation mobile technology. It’s a wide-area wireless technology that allows for much faster data transmission than the EDGE network used by AT&T with the iPhone right now.

If anyone is interested in reading more... link