Why can I go to any web site except apple.com?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Moof1904, Dec 27, 2007.

1. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

I just upgraded to Leopard and now I can go to any web site except apple.com. if I go to apple.com I get Safari 3's message "You are not connected to the internet." Changing the URL to any other site and hitting enter immediately connects me to that other site.

WTF?????

The same is true for accessing online help for an Apple product. I get a message from the help system that a web connection is required.

Can anyone help?

2. BugHunter macrumors newbie

Firefox?

Out of interest, does the same thing happen with Firefox? That might give some clues as to the cause.

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It could be a local DNS server issue. Have you tried any different internet connections?

4. Moof1904 thread starter macrumors 65816

It works fine with FireFox

Firefox has no problems! What gives? By "other internet connections" do you mean other connections to the internet (e.g., email, etc.) from the same computer or going to apple.com with another computer in the house?

Follow-up: I can get to Apple.com from the other (Tiger) Macs in the house.

5. Moof1904 thread starter macrumors 65816

Crap! Now it's working fine

I didn't change a thing and now it's working.

WTF?!?!?!?!?!

6. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

it won't be a DNS problem if firefox works and safari doesn't
    sorry, didn't noticed you got it worked out now, maybe a firefox flush just cleared the things for safari....:)

7. Moof1904 thread starter macrumors 65816

And now it's not working again!!!!!!!!!!

This sucks!

Why can I only intermittently get to apple.com?!?!?!?!!?!?

AAAArgggghhhhhh!

Firefox works right now. Safari doesn't. Only for Apple.com.

8. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

oh my, you do have a lot of strange problems happening to you....... do clearing cookies, caches, system caches help?

9. Moof1904 thread starter macrumors 65816

Resetting Safari doesn't fix it

I still get "You are not connected to the Internet..." when I try to go to apple.com. Clicking the Network Diagnostics button results in the network diagnostics telling me that there's no problem with my internet connection (which is obviously correct because I'm posting this and also able to go to every other web site in the known world...)

10. Moof1904 thread starter macrumors 65816

And now it's working. I changed nothing and suddenly I can go to Apple.com.

Seriously. This is maddening. What could be causing this sort of behavior?

11. Moof1904 thread starter macrumors 65816

And now it's not

Here's what I did:

I kept the apple.com Safari window open and every so often hit the refresh button. For the past hour or more, it's refreshed without fail. Just now I hit the refresh button on the apple.com window and once again am greeted with the message that I'm not connected to the internet.

Any more thoughts? Anyone else seeing this issue with Safari in Leopard?

12. Moof1904 thread starter macrumors 65816

I think I fixed it

When I installed Leopard a few days back, I did an archive and install option. I just noticed that my DNS entries didn't migrate over. So, I just went to the advanced tab on the network control panel and put in dns information and the apple.com page immediately refreshed to show apple.com. Safari seems much snappier now.

13. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Well done mate! Hopefully it'll last this time.

I thought Firefox (and possibly Camino) used their own DNS settings, separate to the rest of the system (System Preferences settings).

14. iMouseHD macrumors regular

I am suddenly having the same issue with Safari and firefox, I can get to pages, hence the post but can not get to apple or my bank or local cable company website....just started this evening...reset my router, unplugged modem still can not get out to these pages.

Edit:

Well I am not crazy, My Cable CO is on the fritz and having some internal issues with their High Speed service not being able to connect to certain websites...very odd...