Why can I not manage my disc space anymore?

Ramius

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2008
Im trying to free up space on my hard drive, but for some reason, it does not work to delete free disc space anymore.

No matter what speed I chose. Disc utility starts to delete free space, but when it comes to create a temporary file, it always fails.

Verifying and repairing discs also does not work. I have upgraded my Macbook from 2008 since Leopard, and I feel something is wrong somewhere. That my OSX is secretly going insane. But it wont tell me about it.

wlossw

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2012
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Someone
Tell
Me
Why
7 year old hard drive? If so it could be physically failing. You could try a third party app that checks disk integrity. You could also start by running disk utility in recovery mode (hold cmd-r) when booting... Oh and make a full backup asap.

Last edited:

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Im trying to free up space on my hard drive, but for some reason, it does not work to delete free disc space anymore.

No matter what speed I chose. Disc utility starts to delete free space, but when it comes to create a temporary file, it always fails.

Verifying and repairing discs also does not work. I have upgraded my Macbook from 2008 since Leopard, and I feel something is wrong somewhere. That my OSX is secretly going insane. But it wont tell me about it.
Ah, that "erase free space" function does NOT do what you think it does. It's used for securely erasing space on your disk that isn't used by anything. While you have Disk Utility open, check your SMART status. If it says "Verified" that's less worrisome than a status of "Failing".

Ramius

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2008
Reparing disk says "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent" has been changed and cannot be repaired.

donlab

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2004
USA
Reparing disk says "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent" has been changed and cannot be repaired.
No sense in trying to troubleshoot disk issues. Backup and erase and install.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.