Why can I not start a thread without getting harassment

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by keepinganotepad, May 16, 2019.

1. keepinganotepad macrumors newbie

keepinganotepad

I first of all fail to see why I have to 'add participants" when they are people who I do not even know!
    This requires me to find users who have similar issues to mine. Then they insult me by saying "you may not start a conversation with the following participants." I did not want to "add participants" in the first place! I wanted users to find my thread on their own and answer back on their own. I have never seen such an arrogant and abusive website where they make demands of their users and insult them as the first thing.

2. OllyW, May 17, 2019
    Last edited: May 17, 2019

OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

It doesn't sound like you were following the correct procedures to create a new thread, you were probably starting a new conversation (private messaging) which does mean adding participants before you can procede.

If you follow the instructions in the How do I post or start a new thread? FAQ you should have no trouble posting your thread.

In fact you must have found the correct steps yourself as you have managed to post this thread :)

3. Ulenspiegel, May 17, 2019
    Last edited: May 18, 2019

Ulenspiegel macrumors 68040

Ulenspiegel

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Now that you've successfully started a thread, we can begin to harass you properly! :D Welcome to MacRumors, where everyone can be harassed equally!

5. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

LOL this is awesome
    Best thing I've read all day :)

6. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

7. Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

Is this your first post?

Under the old system, as far as I can recall, a newbie would not have been able to start a conversation (with anyone), or DM anyone, unless they had made at least five posts.

Now, I admit that I am not certain whether this applies under the currents system.

In any case, it sounds to me as though you may have confused starting a thread with starting a conversation, hence the reactions and responses.

@OllyW has helpfully linked how to start a thread (or post) and which should be of some help.