Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MikeTheRocker96

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2009
Canada
apple couldn't care less what devs priced apps at, they want to make sure customers get the best experience. everything else will work itself out.

I'm gonna have to disagree with you on that one. I'm pretty sure Apple cares a lot about how devs price their apps seing as Apple gets 30% of all profits. :rolleyes:

KevinC867

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2007
Saratoga, CA
Jailbreak can't come fast enough... Need RetinaPad installed.

I just installed RetinaPad on my jailbroken (4.3.2) iPad. It's fantastic! Probably just what the OP was hoping Apple would do. iPhone apps which used to be painful to look at now look great. No UI problems that I can discern.

As others in this thread have suggested, I'm convinced that Apple wants to leave iPhone apps crippled on the iPad - purely for marketing reasons. RetinaPad proves that this is not a technical problem.

fizzwinkus

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2008
I'm gonna have to disagree with you on that one. I'm pretty sure Apple cares a lot about how devs price their apps seing as Apple gets 30% of all profits. :rolleyes:

i know universal apps are a hard concept to understand, as is the idea that apple allows free apps as well. both those things force devs to charge you obscene amounts of money, just so you can pay for an iphone app AND an ipad app.

or, they could be ways apple allows one payment to work on both... maybe?

Last edited:

Starfires

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2010
Kashiwa, Japan
Jailbreak Time

Well this gave me a good reason to Jailbreak and I've only had it a few hours. Seems kind of petty to deny me my retina apps while the universal ones are so thin on the ground.

Old style iPhone ones are unusable at 2x, and although I do see the logic of trying to get developers to make iPad versions, I think they would anyway as that would still be better.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
It is purely marketing why it doesn't have it. Still, I'll be very disappointed if iOS 5 doesn't have a RetinaPad feature.

BergerFan

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2008
Mos Eisley
When the original iPad came out last year, there were no dedicated iPad apps, so running iPhone (before the Retina devices existed) apps was a good way for consumers to fill the time until dedicated apps appeared.
Now, a year later, with thousands of dedicated iPad apps available, I really hope Apple flicks the switch with iOS 5, so that older apps look better.
Today, there surely can be no excuse for THIS.

Last edited:

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
The OP's question is why haven't Apple made it so that iPhone apps with 960x640 assets are displayed using them on the iPad instead of the pixel doubled 480x320 ones.

It isn't possible to easily detect which mode the app is written for, really. The iPad can present itself as an iPhone 4, but then everything will need to run at 960x640, even the ones without the assets. Then it's more of a case that if you don't want to fill the screen, it has to scale down which is (ironically) more expensive than pixel doubling.

nickcho

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2011
Glad to find this thread. I'm frustrated by this. Three simple screenshots, both taken using the "press the standby and round buttons at the same time" method:

screenshot of the iPhone-version Angry Birds on iPhone 4:
5772999787_42d789a928_z.jpg

screen shot of the iPhone-version Angry Birds on iPad:
5773537836_56aa665db1_z.jpg

and, bear with me:
Screenshot on an iPad (in Photos) of the screenshot of the iPhone-version Angry Birds on iPhone 4 (to show that it's not a screen resolution issue, it's simply how they choose to display it:
5773558564_8393dbd4c6_z.jpg

Why is this okay?

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
As crazy as you may think I am, I am Happy Apple did this and want them to continue to keep it this way.

Letting iPhone Retina apps run full res on the iPad will only mean less properly written iPad versions that take advantage of the physically larger screen.

On a tiny 3.5" screen you can only make icons and buttons so big for them to be usable with a finger tip, but on the iPad you can have more on screen for the same screen resolution and it's still usable for finger input.

We will just have devs become lazy and not bother with a proper iPad version and the iPhone version is good enough.

that's the very last thing I want. What surprises me is, over a year after launch there are still not some basic apps converted for the iPad.

kronborg

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2011
Copenhagen
The iPhone-only game Trainyard runs high resolution graphics when in the iPad 2x mode. But that's achieved by using high res graphics at all times, downscaling when run on the 3GS and similar, which in turn looks a bit jaggy.

I agree that the real solution is universal or iPad-only apps. Not only because of the obvious UI concerns, but also because iPhone apps on the iPad confuses first time users.

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 27, 2006
Seeing the images, this has raised another issue for me. Why didn't Apple just make iPad have a screen that was the same aspect ratio as iPhone 4?

The difference between them is very small, as the images show.

mikehoopes

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2011
Seems like a lose-lose-lose proposition:

end users: iPhone apps can only be viewed @ 132 or 66 dpi on the current iPads. x1 view could at least rotate to the current orientation of the unit, if retina isn't going to be supported. I have to physically rotate the iPad to use those apps, many times - which is not convenient when on a mount.

developers: additional overhead for iPad may not be justifiable. This "encouragement" doesn't seem to be working all that well - especially where Microsoft is concerned.

Apple: their "credibility" in terms of the necessity of the "retina" density threshold, and their perceived policy of not allowing their devices to do things "half-assed", is diminished by allowing iPhone apps to be displayed at 66 dpi. Having to unnecessarily rotate the device to use the iPhone app also diminishes the value of the statement "It just works".

buckwheat.phd

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2011
Because to push the ipad2 out the door in time, they had to go to a bulk quantity low resolution display. It could not be "fixed" mid-stream even though the hi res displays became available about 30 days after the ipad2's release. For your 350 dpi screen, you'll just have to wait for the ipad3 like everybody else

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Because Apple wants to encourage people to write apps specifically for the iPad instead of enlarging a phone app (the Samsung way).

jgalan14

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2011
Because Apple wants to encourage people to write apps specifically for the iPad instead of enlarging a phone app (the Samsung way).

Is no the iPhone way is android way, and yes is cause of that, they look like crap, but ipad apps do look really nice :D

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
I think this way Apple can say "XX" amount of apps written specifically for the iPad, unlike our competitors.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Because to push the ipad2 out the door in time, they had to go to a bulk quantity low resolution display. It could not be "fixed" mid-stream even though the hi res displays became available about 30 days after the ipad2's release. For your 350 dpi screen, you'll just have to wait for the ipad3 like everybody else

That doesn't have anything to do with it.

smetvid

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2009
I also wonder how the apps would switch graphics on the fly between the 1x and 2x modes. Of course the apps could just launch in a larger 1x if they are retina and not have an option to scale down but this seems like it would be a lot more for the iPad to figure out.

In the end my vote is mainly on the marketing and try to encourage developers to make specific iPad apps and users to buy specific iPad apps.

Personally I was shocked the iPad supported iphone apps at all. I think the only reason was to help sales because of a fear that nobody would buy an iPad if it had no apps. It was Apple's way of saying it already supports thousands of apps.

Apple doesn't care about selling two apps. They actually encourage developers to make universal apps. They just want it done the right way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.