Why can this filter not be shipped to California?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Full of Win, Jun 7, 2009.

1. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

This is odd, I was looking at filters at Adorama and found a disclaimer that states "Due to Manufacturer Restrictions, This Item can NOT be Shipped to California"

http://www.adorama.com/ONSGI1Q.html

I have this odd image in my mind of someone taking pictures in CA and the cops running after them, gun drawn, yelling PUT DOWN THE FILTER or HES GOT A FILTER. I'm not in the state, just curious is all. I'm into firearms and you will see this on many gun items, but I can understand the legal issue(s) there. What I don't get is the issue with a filter.

2. pianojoe macrumors 6502

pianojoe

I think they have slightly different warranty laws in California. Maybe the manufacturer or vendor doesn't want to abide to them.

3. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

If I had to guess why it can not be shipping to California, I'd say it was something to do with the coating on the filter. Maybe one of the chemicals used is banned in CA.

4. Cliff3 macrumors 65816

Cliff3

A number of their products on the Adorama site have that restriction. If I had to guess, I would imagine they're protecting an existing distribution channel. Since they're based here in Northern California, that channel would presumably be their own direct sales through telescope.com.

5. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

^^^ Yes, to protect other online or local businesses, the manufacture may limit a certain online store from shipping to certain areas.

6. Flash SWT macrumors 6502

Flash SWT

My first thought was also environmental. My lawnmower has several large stickers on it stating it can not be sold in California.