Why can you only buy an iphone on credit cards?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dingo Dave 69, Jan 10, 2008.

1. Dingo Dave 69 macrumors regular

I got my iphone the day after launch and this question has been bugging me for a while. I bought it from an Apple store and was only allowed to pay for it with credit card. When I asked why the sales assistant told me they didn't know!

Anyway if it is to make sure you have activated you phone how come so many people have bought them and jailbreaked them? Also you do not agree when you buy the phone to activate it...pointless I know but still...

Are all other shops selling the iphone like this or can you actually buy them anywhere with cash?

2. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

Buying from Apple, you can only use plastic. They didn't want tons of people buying with cash/gift cards (they can be purchased with cash) and then reselling them unlocked in bulk. At least with a credit card, you can see that Joe Reseller bought 100 iPhones.

I don't think it's a great idea, but it may be something that AT&T wanted, to help keep people from bailing on the network.

3. BigPrince macrumors 68020

What can Apple do to stop people from buying bulk and reselling?

4. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Apple want to know EVERYTHING about you.

Honestly, It's to keep a flood of iPhones off places like ebay or craigslist by monitoring the 2 per customer. Also it cuts down on fraudulent currency.

5. Z.Beeblebrox macrumors regular

Z.Beeblebrox

Apple keeps a log of the names from the credit cards too, so if you buy two and return to buy more afterwards, the computer will alert the sales person that you have already purchased your maximum limit and they will refuse you any more phones.

AT&T / Apple wants control over the phone accounts and they can't do that with phones purchased through third parties. When people buy unlocked phones from resellers for use on other networks, they're voiding the warranty (which is a bad idea) and losing the customer service, should they ever have a problem. It's also bad for financial business, obviously, because it negates the exclusive (and lucrative) contract between Apple and AT&T.

6. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    It is, of course, a ridiculous policy.

The overwhelming majority of buyers wishing to unlock phones, are not within the usual iPhone carrier world.

Therefore they are sales that would not have happened if the phone couldn't be unlocked.