Why can't 2008 mac pro boot to ghost 2003 cd?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by xgman, Feb 3, 2009.

1. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

I would like to be able to boot to a ghost 2003 (dos environment basically) to be able to clone NTFS disks without having to go to a pc, but for some reason on the mac pro I can only boot into Windows PE environments or Linux environments boot disks. The ghost 2003 bootable cd just hangs and never loads. Anyone been able to figure a way to do this?

2. rylin macrumors 6502

My guess is it doesn't have drivers for the SATA super drive.

Edit: seems the SD is still IDE??
    Either way, probably no drivers.

Can't say I've tried it myself.

3. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

Probably right, lack of drivers to boot.

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Probably didn't support EFI and GUID machines at that time.

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It doesn't need to.

I'd say AHCI but that doesn't apply either.

6. xgman thread starter macrumors 601

xgman

I was able to get it to work with this workaround:

I got the freedos image and made a bootable cd. I included ghost.exe on the image. Unfortunately even though ghost.exe is clearly on the cd when you explore the c`d in windows, it does not show up when booting to the a:\ prompt in the mac pro. Also the freedos a:\ prompt only sees cd drives and only the C: partition of the couple of fat/ntfs partitions I have in the MP. So it sees the 2nd usb cd drive as b:\. So I tried placing a msdos bootable cd with ghost on it (which wouldn't work by itself) in the 2nd cd drive and from the freedos a:\ prompt I typed b: and then ghost and sure enough ghost.exe ran and completed a backup job after seeing all of my drives even though feedos could not. Odd huh, but at least it works. NTFS or Fat, partition to partition, drive to drive, image to partition etc. I'm sure there is some combination of a dos based bootable image that could be made to run off of one cd drive, but I'm baffled as to why the freedos image containing ghost.exe hid ghost.exe from view when doing a dir at the a prompt. Wierd stuff.