why cant air achieve this

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Acorn, Jul 16, 2012.

1. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

2. Power Macintosh macrumors member

Power Macintosh

How's the price? Is it treating you as nicely the air does?

3. aarond12 macrumors 65816

aarond12

That's quite a computer. I would remove Windows and put Ubuntu on it in a second.

1920x1080 on a 13" screen? That's gonna suck under Windows. I have a 15" laptop with 1920x1200 resolution, and it's too small.

4. KPOM macrumors G5

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I actually like the Asus Ultrabooks looks for a Windows computer and would consider one if I had to use one

I would be interested in seeing real life battery performance though

6. Blu-Ray macrumors regular

I've been looking into this as it hasn't been released yet, but it does not come with an SSD. If this was priced closer to $1K in that configuration or if it came with an SSD standard for the proce of $1300, it would be a worthy contender to the MBA.

7. KPOM macrumors G5

Yes, I saw the old versions at the Microsoft store and they looked pretty good. The Samsung Series 9 looked the best, though. Price no object, that would be the Windows Ultrabook I'd recommend.

8. Isira macrumors newbie

At 150% DPI, the text seemed fine on the Sony Vaio Z I was playing around with a month ago.

9. Acorn thread starter macrumors 68020

Acorn

considering your getting an upgraded ips screen and upgraded 1 gb gforce graphics and upgraded to i7 cpu. at 1300 pretty good actually

----------

if the 13 inch asus can pack an 1 gb 620 geforce graphics with an i7 cpu in a similar chassis i just wish apple had done that. the asus clearly shows its possible heatwise.

10. KPOM macrumors G5

It's possible, but at the expense of battery life (note that the ASUS uses the 1.7GHz i5, as well), thickness, and weight. Perhaps Apple doesn't want to make those compromises. Remember also that the hybrid drive ASUS uses is cheaper than the all-flash storage of the higher end Zenbook and Air.

11. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

The X1 coming from Lenovo next month could be interesting.

12. Acorn thread starter macrumors 68020

Acorn

its an i7

from the specs - Core i7-3517UE

13. modular macrumors regular

apple isnt even putting in a gpu in the 13" pro when they have done so in the past. yet they still call it a pro.. i just dont see why they are cutting on the graphics when it should be possible to do. at least make it an option for people who are willing to spend the $ on it.

and i dont play games. graphics cards are very useful for creative professionals.

14. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

the 13 has never had a dedicated gpu

15. jsolares macrumors 6502a

not bad at all, but it has an hybrid HD and not SSD, and also a slower i7, 2ghz on mba vs 1.7ghz, so that might be where they got the TDP out to be able to use a dedicated video card.

it's also quite a lot less tapered, so it's not as thin. the Air starts to taper almost immediately whilst this one seems to taper only at the very end to be able to claim it's very thin. seems like it has 40% more volume than the air.

from what i've read on notebookcheck it also runs hotter than the air when pushed (full load, games, etc)

16. KPOM macrumors G5

17. modular macrumors regular

You're correct, I'm thinking of the days when the 13" had integrated Nvidia 9400 and the 320m chips. Then the next version of the pro had a HUGE downgrade in graphics when they went to intels integrated chip.

Anyway, if they can fit a gpu in that Air knockoff, they should be able to fit it in the 13" pro.

18. 2IS macrumors 68030

For that price it would blow the MBA out of the water, actually. The UX31a is the worthy contender that doesnt have dGPU just like the MBA doesn't.