Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Yes I do own a Droid, hence me posting on this section of the forum. I own an SII and if Viral is the easiest way to run Youtube audio in the background, then my grandmother's iPhone 4 beats my SII. My SII is slow as it is, but with Viral in the background it becomes slower still, the iPhone 4 plays youtube audio without a hitch.
And yes, I believe that your Note 3's same screen multitasking is a gimmick.

Again, it's not refined. It will will not go through a Youtube playlist. It can be annoying sometimes with frequent stops while your doing other stuff. Can't really use while browsing through differ tabs, cause it will stop. With Viral and other apps on Android, you don't have to worry about that.

The only advantage of the iOS integration is the play/pause buttons on control center. But I can basically do same thing by just swiping down my notification bar.

Attachments

• 2013-12-26 16.43.10.png
    2013-12-26 16.43.10.png
    266.6 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
The only advantage of the iOS integration is the play/pause buttons on control center. But I can basically do same thing by just swiping down my notification bar.

iOS folks are still getting used to their "android-ish" notifications and settings controls. This whole "swipe" thing is newer to them ;) Sadly it's still half-baked compared to android. As a long time iPhone and iPad user, I know their pain.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
There are things on both sides that seem simple that are either yet to be implemented or have just been added. This goes both ways. As others have mentioned, there are various ways to do the same end task - the same argument I always give when someone tells me my iPhone is "archaic" and can't do certain things.

It may be "more difficult" or not the way you're used to - but research and I'm sure you'll find something.

It beats complaining on an internet forum.

----------

iOS folks are still getting used to their "android-ish" notifications and settings controls. This whole "swipe" thing is newer to them ;) Sadly it's still half-baked compared to android. As a long time iPhone and iPad user, I know their pain.

I prefer control center and Apple's notification center. It's not customizable, but it provides everything I need.

User of both ;)

IFRIT

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2012
Play an audio from a video, in the background.

iOS can do it. Apple disabled it(or maybe it was a bug) in iOS 6, but in iOS 7 you can do it again.

Neither Android, nor Windows Phone allow you to do this little, yet such a handy feature.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/apple/3447568/play-youtube-in-background-on-iphone-ipad/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcaaeJDn_uU

Google don't want you using Youtube as a music player they want you to view their adds this limitation has nothing to do with Android as an OS.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
So you have to use the web to view YouTube, just so you can close it out to listen to it? And why would I bother with this method? I open YouTube app to 'watch' it. If I want noise without video I have radio, podcasts, Pandora, spotify, and so on.
And if you really want this feature in Android, there are plenty of ways to do it.

Your tone is awfully condescending considering that you appear to have absolutely no idea that YouTube is among the most popular music streaming services on the Internet. :rolleyes:

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
Your tone is awfully condescending considering that you appear to have absolutely no idea that YouTube is among the most popular music streaming services on the Internet. :rolleyes:

And you are naively thinking that the only app that can consume youtube/flash video is the one named "Youtube" put up by Google.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
And you are naively thinking that the only app that can consume youtube/flash video is the one named "Youtube" put up by Google.

How you came to that conclusion, god only knows. :confused:

The fact is that a huge number of people listen to music via YouTube through the app or a web browser. The fact that there are obviously other ways to do that is completely beside the point.

Last edited:

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Thanks.

I never knew that I could continue to play a YouTube videos sound in the background using Safari. I always used the app which stops if it's not in the foreground.

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
Thanks.

I never knew that I could continue to play a YouTube videos sound in the background using Safari. I always used the app which stops if it's not in the foreground.

You're welcome.

It's a very useful ability iOS has.

----------

Google don't want you using Youtube as a music player they want you to view their adds this limitation has nothing to do with Android as an OS.

That's probably true and it's still BS! Before you background the video, the page still has to load, so the ad appears on the page, the "view" registers.

Will they start blocking YouTube in the background in Chrome too?

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
I use an app called McTube which allows background audio from YouTube on iOS. I'm sure there's a similar Android app, though I agree that something like this should be default across all OSs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.