Why can't Apple have its own "Cydia" like marketplace?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BeeJee, Jun 23, 2014.

1. BeeJee macrumors 6502

Now I'm not saying I'm holding my breath for it, but with the new additions like custom keyboards, I see no reason why Apple shouldn't be able to "safely" implement third party themes or other tweaks. I'm really not trying to hate on iOS 7 or Apple but I just don't understand why Apple can't allow more tweaks and more personalization. Jailbroken iPhones are able to add to the experience and I feel that as a customer, there is much to be desired.
    For example, VirtualHome unlocks my phone by just resting my finger on the Touch ID sensor, and BytaFont allows me to pick a font that's easy on the eyes, and when I get bored change it again. Even if Apple had its own restrictions, something is better than nothing. I have really loved my iPhones and Macs, but whyyyyyy do they have to be SO controlling on things that really shouldn't matter. I also feel they would gain customers, especially from the Android market if we were able to use the phone to its full capacity, and were able to actually "Think Different."
    Like I said, I'm not trying to be a hater, but I just don't see a logical reason for them wanting to force their users to all have the same exact looking phones. I like iOS 7 more than iOS 6, but I also like a lot of Cydia themes even more. Why don't they want to please everyone they possibly can. It's not their phone, it's mine! Please try to hear me out and not bash me. But if you do, give me some good reasons why their way is better

2. takeshi74 macrumors 601

It's better for those that prefer a walled garden. No solution will ever make everyone happy. If you don't care for it there are plenty of alternatives out there. As always, determine your priorities and use what works for you. If you're unhappy with Apple then why do you stick with them? Voting with your dollars will do a lot more than griping on the internet.

3. BeeJee thread starter macrumors 6502

Then why do they insist on blocking those that want to jailbreak?

4. chrfr macrumors 603

Jailbreaks have all been security vulnerabilities that get exploited. Apple has a responsibility to close these vulnerabilities.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Exactly. Not to mention, pretty sure Cydia has been a resource for pirated software as well. It was when I used to Jailbreak my iPhone.

6. BeeJee thread starter macrumors 6502

Then why don't they give the user an option to install "Apple Approved" tweaks?

7. nnacrumors macrumors 6502

Apple has no real motivation to do so. Profits are rolling in and their overall customer satisfaction is quite high.

Such a tiny fraction of their customers even know what jailbreaking is or the possibilities it brings out.

8. BeeJee thread starter macrumors 6502

But they would be able to make even more money from revenue generated by these "tweaks." Just like a lot of things Apple does, "people don't know they need it, until Apple does it." I just don't see why they don't want people to actually "Think Different." Like I said, they're now allowing custom keyboards for iOS 8, so why not themes, fonts, and the like? Nobody has given me a real reason why Apple can't do this themselves... And for the people saying I can switch, that's just the typical answer around here. I've invested too much in the EcoSystem so it wouldn't make sense to switch.

----------

Why can't Apple have its own" Apple Approved" tweaks though? I'm not really complaining about the whole jailbreak situation. I just don't understand why they don't want people to tweak their devices. They could also make more money off of sales

9. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

It seems like the more "open" on OS is to customization, the more open it is to issues. With Apple's current OS they have a limited track to troubleshoot issues. If the user can install any combination of tweaks, then the troubleshooting process becomes more complicated.

This may not be an issue for more experienced users, but it could become a problem with the average user. It may only take one or two taps to install (or delete) something that will have an adverse effect on the phone's performance.

10. nnacrumors macrumors 6502

Do you actually think Apple makes much, if any, profits off of app sales?

From a company standpoint they want their base user experience to be the same across the board. Of course it's easy to sit back from the sidelines and come up with random demands thinking it's easy to write that stuff into an operating system but perhaps for them the effort is not worth it just so they can make a few asking for it happy.

Also "think different" applies to its advertising of Mac vs PC. It doesn't have anything to do with iOS devices.

People used to complain about Apple not allowing 3rd party keyboards the way you are now about themes, fonts, and the like. Maybe in the coming years they will do the same for what you want.

I already gave you a reason why apple doesn't do it (yet). That's not to say that they can't, just that currently it's not worth it to them.

11. BeeJee thread starter macrumors 6502

Finally, some valid points. However, I still have faith that Apple could create its own themes and fonts. These are somewhat simple, and would at least offer some sort of customization.

12. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I don't totally disagree with you, I was just offering an idea as to why Apple keeps the OS locked down.

13. BeeJee thread starter macrumors 6502

I think they have made a lot of money off of app sales considering the 3 billion they made in one year of of apps alone, lol. Do you have a source to cite saying it's not worth it to them? You seem pretty sure, and seeing you don't think they make money off of apps, it's difficult to feel like you actually know what you're talking about when it comes to their business.

14. nnacrumors macrumors 6502

:rolleyes:

Sales =/= Profits.

Do some actual reading/research before spouting off nonsense that it's difficult to take other people seriously.

http://9to5mac.com/2013/03/22/apples-break-even-itunes-business-now-estimated-to-make-2b-a-year/
    Since this 2013 article Apple has also made iWork free and updates free, so no... they don't make much, if any, profits off app store sales. The iTunes app store is simply to drive profits via hardware sales, which they are doing just fine as is without your "cydia store" idea.

15. BeeJee thread starter macrumors 6502

http://mobile.businessweek.com/articles/2014-01-07/apple-users-spent-10-billion-on-apps-in-2013

Here's your research, bro. I'm spouting facts.

Edit:LMAO your own source shows profits, is 2 billion nothing to you?

16. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

this is exactly why jailbreaking gets a bad name. you should do your research before commenting, because most of us don't pirate stuff, and there really aren't any pirate stores commonly used anymore...

17. BeeJee thread starter macrumors 6502

Where have you been? :p

18. nnacrumors macrumors 6502

#1 revenue does not equal profits.
    #2 even if Apple had a revenue of 3 billion, that doesn't take into account the costs of running the iTunes app store, which are enormous.

Also from your very own article:
    So again, with Apple making money hand over fist on hardware and customer satisfaction at high levels already with things the way they currently are, there isn't much motivation for them to change the themes and fonts for such a small portion of its user base.

p.s. your use of terms like "bro" "lol" and "LMAO" make it hard to take talking business with you seriously...

19. BeeJee, Jun 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2014

BeeJee thread starter macrumors 6502

Nobody is talking about the original topic. I

20. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You should read before you comment. I said that it was when I jailbroke my iPhone. That would suggest that it was in the past and I was not committing to what it is today. I also never said everyone pirates. I am 100% for jailbreaking, I just don't bother with it myself these days.

Read before you hit reply. Just do that and it'll be all okay.

21. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lol:)
    That's the funniest thing I read in a long time. Apple doesn't make any profits off app sales?
    Try billions.
    Their cut is 30% of every app sold.

22. cynics macrumors G4

You are contradicting yourself.

You quoted the link that says software is what drives hardware sales.

Then you say there isn't any motivation for apple to improve on software basically. If software drives hardware sales then thats all the motivation Apple needs.

Plus you keep conveniently not quoting the profit numbers. Albeit estimates.

From the first paragraph of the 9to5mac link:
    While not much in comparison to hardware sale profits its still nothing to sneeze at.

Besides, iOS6/7/8 makes this a moot point. We are slowly getting much loved features that have been offered in Cydia for along time now.

23. BeeJee thread starter macrumors 6502

You guys have restored my faith in MacRumors members. Especially since I made this thread to talk about how Apple could improve, not about their revenue/sales. Lol