iPad Why can't apple just use the same camera sensor from iPhone 6 plus in the iPad Air 2?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bniu, Feb 22, 2015.

1. bniu macrumors 6502a

IPad Air 2 has a decent camera, but it still lacks some of the things the iPhone 6 plus has such as OIS, focus pixels, 240fps slo-mo, 60fps 1080p, f2.2 aperture. It seems like Apple sourced a completely different camera module for the Air 2, as it has some of the elements of the 5S and some of the 5 and 5C. So why not just use the same modules as the ones in the iPhone 6 plus since those would already be on hand?

I'd prefer consistency in all my camera devices if I had all the latest devices. I'd like to be able to pick up an iPad and an iPhone and not have to say, remember which one has the 240fps slo mo and which one only has 120fps. Yes, I know the ipad is not the best for taking pictures with, but when I have my iPad on hand, I'd like it to be just as good as taking photos as my iPhone.

2. Closingracer macrumors 68000

Because the Ipad shouldn't be used as a camera lol. Seriously though it's cost and not using the 6 plus camera with its gimmicks and OIS (focus pixels are gimmicks Imo and just an opinion) will just be cheaper to use the 5s camera then a newer module.

3. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Huh?

Cost and they don't want a bunch of weirdos holding up their iPad as a camera, blocking anyone and everyone behind them.

I know the best camera is the one you have on you, but it's super odd to see how many people seem to have iPads with them every second of the day.

4. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

I always assumed they just used the camera module from a previous iPhone. The quality of my iPad Air photos, for example, feels a lot like what an iPhone 4 would shoot. My iPad 2 used to shoot photos much like the quality of the original iPhone (aka crappy)

Do they actually have a specific camera module they use in the iPad?

5. Saturn1217 macrumors 6502a

Your iPhone is a significantly more expensive device with higher margins than your iPad. That is why.

6. thedon1 macrumors 6502

The iPad is already a lower profit margin product than the iPhone (according to unofficial reports) so using a last gen camera module is probably a change that wouldn't affect most people but saves on cost.

7. SHirsch999 macrumors 6502a

That already happens

8. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

What about Android tablets do they have the BEST camera? :apple:

9. Closingracer macrumors 68000

God they are horrible ...at least the Samsung Galaxy Tab s and note 10.1 2914 edition . They were 8 megapixel camera and better then the iPad Air at the time on paper but the 5 megapixel camera on the iPad was way better. The 8 megapixel camera on the iPad Air 2 is quite good actually and like it over my phone for daytime photos because of the bigger view finder the iPad gives you. The pictures aren't as good as my note 4 imo but it's easier to use with the bigger screen