Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
Anyone know why they have to be kept seperate? I'm sure Apple could easily flag the music that is buy only. Is it the record companies forcing them to remain seperate?

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
It makes sense to keep them separate because downloads will be phased out eventually. At that point there won't be a need for a music "store".

I can only see this happening if all music gets onto Apple music. if copyright holders don't stream as the only option, then no Apple music... simple enough.

Since no one else can change their minds, i dunno why Apple thinks it can. The up-shot will be, less music available to stream.

M. Gustave

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2015
Grand Budapest Hotel
I can only see this happening if all music gets onto Apple music. if copyright holders don't stream as the only option, then no Apple music... simple enough.

Since no one else can change their minds, i dunno why Apple thinks it can. The up-shot will be, less music available to stream.

Streaming on AM/Spotify/etc is a huge benefit to artists, in the same way that YouTube helped unknowns get worldwide exposure. Resisting this sea change is pretty futile.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
True, but i'm saying this based on history, how tough it has been to get them on Apple music. or any streaming service,. They go kicking and screaming in some cases.

Maybie i'll be wrong... but they have resisted for longer than 10+ years, so i don't see how Apple can just flick a switch and everyone would just "comply" without question.

M. Gustave

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2015
Grand Budapest Hotel
True, but i'm saying this based on history, how tough it has been to get them on Apple music. or any streaming service,. They go kicking and screaming in some cases.

Maybie i'll be wrong... but they have resisted for longer than 10+ years, so i don't see how Apple can just flick a switch and everyone would just "comply" without question.

Yeah, I'm amazed too at some of the holdouts - but if even the Beatles gave in... and that wasn't out of their generosity and love of their fans, LOL, it was hurting them in the pocketbook.

navaira

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Streaming on AM/Spotify/etc is a huge benefit to artists, in the same way that YouTube helped unknowns get worldwide exposure. Resisting this sea change is pretty futile.
Maybe I should put the calculation of how much an artist earns per stream versus per sale in my signature. Streaming is a huge benefit to 0.01% richest artists, whose records were pirated in millions and now aren't because streaming is easier. It also popularises their records, meaning they can sell out tours $100 (or more) a ticket. For those who don't happen to have major label backing streaming is at best depressing – "your earnings this month: $4.59".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.