Why can't apps found in Cydia now me put in the App Store?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by maestro55, Nov 29, 2008.

1. maestro55 macrumors 68030

maestro55

I am not sure if this specific question has been asked before or not. The question I have, is why aren't we seeing all of the free Apps (like a great terminal with ssh) or mCleaner inside the App Store? Will the developers not submit these apps to Apple or is Apple denying these Applications? Is there licensing issues with these free open source apps that have been developed and were being developed long before the App store was available?

2. Bernie-Mac macrumors 65816

Apple's SDK or whatever agreement says that if you submit an app to the App Store you cant submit it anywhere else

3. TheMBC macrumors 6502

Apple iPhone SDK doesn't allow anything beyond what is known as the "sandbox."

Basically, the apps that are written can't do anything outside of themselves.

l========================l
    llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
    lllllllllllllllllllllAPPLICATIONllllllllllllllllllllllll
    l========================l

4. The General macrumors 601

Incorrect.

Among many other reasons. AppStore apps can't run in the background either. Or access system files. Or change system settings. Or do pretty much anything to the rest of the system. They can't access the camera the right way to be able to scan bar codes in real time or record video. All they can do is bring up a window that will let you take a picture, then use that picture how it wants.

So things like OpenSSH, Cydia itself, Winterboard, Status Notifier, Categories, Mobile Substrate, Cycorder, Qik etc... can't go in the AppStore because they break the rules and provide more functionality than Apple will allow.

Thus, we jailbreak. To increase the functionality of our phones.

5. TheMBC macrumors 6502

Exactly ;)

(but please quote the fixed sandbox! :D)

6. firewood macrumors 604

they violate the SDK agreement

Simply put, Apple's SDK and app store agreement has several rules about how apps are supposed to be written and behave. If you try to download the SDK, you will see the agreement, and will need to agree to this before downloading the SDK. A large number (but not all) of the apps on Cydia violate the rules of what can be developed with the SDK and submitted to the app store. (It's Apples store, so they can write the rules.)

7. maestro55 thread starter macrumors 68030

maestro55

That is really a bummer that Apple would stop innovation because they want to keep the users from having more power over their device. Generally I haven't complained about this with the Macs that I have used because OS X gives me everything I want and I don't have to worry. However, with my iPhone there are apps that I want to run that do more, and it doesn't make sense that Apple would deny these apps to the App Store on the basis they violate a crappy policy.

I guess I will re-jailbreak my phone later this week, I shouldn't have upgraded my firmware.

8. TheConfuzed1 macrumors 6502a

Why not? 2.2 is jailbroken.

9. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

For a while i thought jailbreaking wasn't necessary (pre iPhone 3G and 2.0). Now with 2.0 and the App, i really don't see any point in jailbreaking for me that is.

10. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Fixed that for you.

11. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I think he's right. Jailbreaking is really overrated. It has amazing potential but there aren't that many current apps that are worth it if you're just an average joe.

12. firewood macrumors 604

They haven't. Users who want power over their device and have the knowledge to do so can easily do so. Either they crack the security on their device and install non-approved apps, or sign up for the paid developer program, and write and install their own apps using the SDK. If they want an insecure device, or software beta testing device, Apple hasn't sued anybody for that yet.